- Pijnacker, Netherlands
- 8 november 2023
I am a highly accomplished Senior Legal Expert and Policy Strategist with a strong focus on promoting Gender Equality, combating Anti-Discrimination, advancing EU Integration, and ensuring Harmonization with EU and International Standards. My extensive experience spans roles in both public and private sectors, where I have honed my expertise in these crucial areas.
Skills and Specialties:
Legal Expertise: Extensive experience in legal harmonization with EU and international standards, particularly in the domains of EU gender equality and anti-discrimination acquis.
Policy Development: Proficient in crafting policy recommendations and legislative compliance strategies for gender equality and anti-discrimination, contributing to effective change.
Policy Analysis: Strong analytical skills in policy analysis to address gender-related disparities and discrimination, providing actionable insights.
Training and Education: Certified lecturer and trainer with a proven ability to deliver impactful training sessions to various professionals, fostering informed learning.
Stakeholder Collaboration: Adept at collaborating with diverse stakeholders, including governmental bodies, civil society organizations, and private companies, to drive effective cooperation.
International Engagement: Skilled in working with international organizations and fostering collaboration networks between various stakeholders, ensuring a global perspective.
Leadership and Management: Demonstrated leadership as the Head of Department for Political Affairs, Judiciary, and Home Affairs, effectively managing teams and projects, showcasing strong management capabilities.
EU Integration: In-depth knowledge and practical experience in the European integration process and legal harmonization, guiding organizations toward alignment with EU standards.
Diversity and Inclusion: Passionate about advancing diversity, inclusion, and gender equality, contributing to societal progress.
Senior Legal Expert, Consultant, and Policy Strategist: Contributed to EU and UN projects by developing comprehensive reports, providing key recommendations for harmonization with EU and international standards, and conducting training for diverse stakeholders. Drafted a qualitative and quantitative analysis on formal cooperation between public institutions and civil society organizations in the EU integration process, along with an advocacy paper, demonstrating expertise in the field of harmonization and collaboration between sectors.
Lecturer and Trainer: Delivered training sessions on transposition of EU legal acts, European Union law, and more for various organizations, effectively disseminating knowledge.
Head of Department for Human Rights and Rule of Law: Demonstrated strong leadership in managing teams, conducting legal research, and contributing to policy development, furthering the rule of law and human rights.
Research Fellow: Engaged with a wide range of stakeholders at the Netherlands Institute of International Relations 'Clingendael,' facilitating collaboration and conducting extensive research, fostering productive dialogues and knowledge exchange.
My ongoing goal is to continue contributing to the advancement of Gender Equality and Anti-Discrimination initiatives, particularly within the context of EU integration. I aim to leverage my expertise and experience to foster policy changes and enhance compliance with EU and international standards, both in the public and private sectors.
I remain committed to promoting diversity and inclusion.
• Conducted SWOT analysis for developing the gender-equality and inclusion strategy, with an emphasis on anti- discrimination.
• Utilised gender analysis to address gender-related disparities and discrimination.
• Acted as the primary point of contact, addressing organisational weaknesses and gender-related concerns.
• Designed and used metrics and tools to track progress, aiming to strengthen strengths, mitigate weaknesses, and monitor gender-related disparities and anti-discrimination efforts. Regular reports were shared with senior
• Designed and delivered in-house trainings focusing on gender-related issues and anti-discrimination education.
• Developed a report on the compliance of key legislation with EU gender equality and anti-discrimination acquis, along with BiH Antidiscrimination Law and Gender Equality Law. The report included key findings and recommendations for further policy and legislation development aimed at absorbing the EU gender equality acquis.
• Assessed the level of compliance of selected legislation in 14 sectors with international, EU, and CoE anti- discrimination standards.
• Defined legislative indicators based on relevant international, EU, and domestic documents to measure the level of compliance of key legislation with international, CoE, and EU standards.
• Discovered key findings and drafted recommendations to be utilised for improving further policy development and the drafting/amending of legislation.
• Developed a detailed manual to guide all relevant stakeholders on the methodology of harmonising their legislation and internal acts with BiH Anti-discrimination Law and Gender Equality Law. The manual provided concrete examples and clear explanations of the process, equipping them with the tools needed to navigate compliance efficiently.
• Conducted training and lectures for representatives of the public and private sector on compliance with EU gender equality and anti-discrimination acquis, as well as BiH Anti-discrimination Law and Gender Equality Law. Training programs included key findings and actionable recommendations to ensure successful alignment of their practices and legislation with EU and international legal standards.
• developed an EU gender approximation measuring report with key findings and recommendations to be used in further policy and legislation development and implementation of measures for effective and coordinative ways for absorbing the EU gender equality acquis.
• carried out an analysis of selected legislation, strategies and policies from all levels of government in BiH in the sectors of Rule of Law, Agriculture and Rural development, and Competitiveness and Innovation in terms of absorbing the EU gender equality acquis.
• identified inconsistencies of selected legislation and strategies in the process of aligning with the EU gender equality acquis as well as shortcomings in planning of harmonisation with relevant EU acquis.
• developed a set of recommendations by sectors and in general identifying the possibilities for effective and coordinative ways for absorbing the EU gender equality acquis in said sectors.
• designed the questionnaire for collecting necessary data.
• conducted in-depth semi-structured interviews with main stakeholders, including government officials;
• provided the international consultant with specific local knowledge of EU gender equality acquis issues and
legislation in BiH.
• Drafted a qualitative and quantitative analysis that addresses the issue of formal cooperation between public institutions and civil society organizations in the EU integration process. The aim was identifying the most acceptable cooperation model between BiH public institutions and CSOs and developing a set of recommendations (advocacy paper).
• Developed a research methodology necessary for drafting the analysis;
• Carried out the analysis of the types of cooperation between public institutions and civil society organizations in
the countries of the Western Balkan region;
• Conducted consultations with relevant stakeholders in the region and BiH;
• Identified the most favorable solution for cooperation between public institutions and CSOs in the context of BiH's
accession to the EU;
• Developed a set of recommendations for public campaigns and for civil society and government institutions
identifying the ways how to effectively advance existing cooperation mechanisms and set up the new ones;
• Drafted comparative analysis and advocacy paper which will be used by CSOs in establishing cooperation between
public institutions and CSOs in BiH.
Within my research endeavours, I interacted with a wide spectrum of participants, encompassing private companies, civil society organizations, and an array of other entities:
Research Project "Europeanization Beyond Process" (2019):
• Actively initiated and facilitated a collaboration network between Western Balkans Civil Society Organizations (WB CSOs) and Dutch public institutions, known as the "Balkan Hub." This effort brought together a broad spectrum of stakeholders, fostering cooperation and knowledge exchange between private companies, CSOs, and governmental bodies.
• Conducted extensive desk research and held interviews with representatives of WB CSOs and Dutch institutions, establishing effective communication channels for private companies, civil society organizations, and other key actors.
• Played an integral role in organizing and participating in high-level events focused on critical challenges within the Western Balkans enlargement process. These events featured in-depth discussions on various topics such as anti-corruption measures, judiciary reforms, promotion of freedom of speech etc. These conferences aimed to raise awareness in Dutch society and demonstrate the potential impact on Dutch institutions, with an emphasis on engaging private companies and CSOs in the dialogue.
Strategic Forecast Analysis for the Western Balkans Region (2019):
• As part of the research team, I was involved in developing a comprehensive study that delved into the influencing factors, projections, and scenarios for the political, economic, and social development of the Western Balkans region.
• Undertook extensive desk research to evaluate the political, economic, and social stability and development of the Western Balkans region, resulting in detailed country-specific studies.
• Collaboration was key in developing and documenting the study methodology. It was ensured that the methodology remained relevant to a wide range of stakeholders. SWOT analysis played a role in this, helping the team to identify and leverage strengths in the methodology design while addressing any potential weaknesses or limitations.
• Systematically identified influential factors in political, economic, and social realms for each Western Balkan country. This process shed light on critical aspects of interest to various stakeholders. SWOT analysis was
instrumental in recognising and capitalising on strengths in our factor identification process while addressing
any potential challenges or complexities.
• Contributed to the preparation of policy briefs and op-ed articles for a special issue of the Clingendael magazine,
"Clingendael Spectator," dedicated to the Western Balkans region. The focus was particularly on Bosnia and Herzegovina, highlighting the country's challenges in the context of European integration.
• In my role as the Head of the department I demonstrated strong leadership in managing a team of four employees. Through my tenure, I have successfully orchestrated and led diverse teams, research endeavors, and projects involving a range of stakeholders.
• Monitoring and assessment of the harmonisation process for Human Rights and the Rule of Law in Bosnia and Herzegovina, fostering collaboration with domestic and international actors.
• Extensive legal research and analysis involving EU legal regulations, various agreements, and policy documents, as well as scrutinising ECJ and ECtHR case law and international law standards. This research was essential for providing expert legal opinions to various stakeholders on the alignment of domestic legislation with EU acquis and international law standards related to Human Rights and the Rule of Law.
• Actively participated in the drafting of high-quality legal and policy documents for the Council of Ministers, the Parliamentary Assembly, and other stakeholders, enriching my experience in working with diverse organisations, private and public.
• Supervision and management of several projects aimed at streamlining the coordination of the harmonisation process in BiH. My experience in project management and collaboration with stakeholders from various sectors was enhanced through SWOT-based evaluations of project deliverables. This process allowed me to identify performance gaps and opportunities for enhancement, ensuring the involvement of various stakeholders, including private companies and law offices, in the improvement process.
• Co-author of key methodologies, such as the methodology for transposing EU legal regulations into the legal system of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Guidelines for Harmonisation of BiH legislation with the EU acquis. These contributions showcased my expertise in aligning domestic regulations with EU standards and the active involvement of stakeholders.
• Designed and delivered workshops and training sessions aimed at raising awareness of EU and international law standards among lawyers, judges, civil society organisations, and public administration representatives. These efforts highlighted my ability to effectively engage with a wide range of stakeholders and convey the importance of compliance with these standards.
• Actively participated in ad hoc working groups responsible for drafting legislation, where I analysed relevant EU acquis and presented viable legal solutions in the context of harmonisation, demonstrating my ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders, including private companies and law offices.
• Coordination and communication were essential aspects of my role, involving engagement with domestic and international interlocutors within my areas of responsibility. This has enhanced capacity to efficiently draft a range of documents for the European Commission and has solidified my collaborative relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders.
Lecturer and trainer on the topics:
1. Transposition of EU legal acts into the domestic legal system - methods and techniques 2. European Union law
3. Use of the TAIEX technical assistance instrument
4. Gender mainstreaming
• With certification as a lecturer and trainer I've actively conducted training sessions for a diverse range of participants, including law offices, civil society organisations, private companies etc.
• In my role as a lecturer and trainer, I have played a pivotal role in ensuring practical learning for participants. This includes the continuous evaluation and adaptation of curricula and learning materials to provide valuable insights how to navigate the complexities of harmonising legislation with EU standards.
• My training methods encompass a variety of learning modalities and supporting materials tailored to the unique needs of participants, making the learning process more accessible. I have also prepared practical exercises to equip all participants with the necessary skills for legislative harmonisation and application in practise.
• In response to the changing educational landscape, I've adapted by conducting online lectures via platforms like Zoom or Teams when required. This approach allows me to reach a wider audience, and provides greater flexibility for participants.
• As a lecturer and trainer, I take responsibility for designing and distributing lecture materials that foster active engagement and learning among participants from diverse professional backgrounds.
• By request, I participate in in-house meetings with organizers, contributing to the development of up-to- date syllabus that reflect the ever-evolving landscape of EU law and the European integration process.
• I have also compiled comprehensive lists of professional literature, providing participants with additional resources to enhance their learning experience. This holistic approach to training ensures that the knowledge and skills acquired are readily applicable in practical settings.