SAFE Goal Unit
The purpose of the SAFE GOAL Unit within the Oxfam Novib Programs Department is to develop and co-implement (influencing) programs in the following areas: Supporting the Rights of People on the Move and Promoting Safe and Resilient Communities. The Unit is also responsible for upholding and promoting Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate within Oxfam Novib through program/proposal development, resource mobilization and grant management. The Unit oversees, coordinates and delivers impactful externally funded SAFE (multi-country) programs and projects and supports conflict sensitivity mainstreaming within Oxfam Novib and the wider Oxfam.
Background of the Position
Oxfam Confederation and its affiliates, including Oxfam Novib, are working on displacement and migration across the globe, including in Europe. In Europe, Oxfam has programs in various countries including in Greece, Italy and Spain. In addition to programs, we monitor harmful practices and policies at the EU and national levels and develop people-centered alternative policy propositions for the protection of people on the move. We work together with other civil society networks and alliances, both in influencing and in support of public engagement and campaign efforts. Oxfam Novib plays a critical role in providing financial and staff capacity for this area of work.
The post holder will be responsible for leading on thought leadership, policy, and where relevant campaign, development for displacement and migration work within Oxfam Novib and actively contribute to Oxfam’s confederation-wide work, including Human Mobility Initiative. The post holder will be involved in the development and implementation of (influencing) programs focused on people on the move.
- Lead on the policy, advocacy and campaigns development, and implementation of Oxfam Novib’s (advocacy and) campaigns work on migration and forced displacement in the Netherlands.
- Contribute to Oxfam’s global migration and forced displacement work through the Human Mobility Initiative as well as other means and help to align Oxfam Novib’s work with the confederation, working closely with relevant colleagues.
- Contribute to resource mobilization work in this thematic area and manage implementation of programs.
- Perform any other duty that might be assigned by the Safe unit manager, including development of advocacy and humanitarian proposals as might be needed.
Who are we looking for?
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience.
- Experience on refugee/migration issues, preferably in the humanitarian/development sector.
- Excellent understanding of the political and policy-making institutions, processes, actors, and political debates in the Netherlands, including those related to conflicts, asylum, and migration.
- Excellent analytical skills, diplomacy, tact, and negotiation skills; demonstrable ability to provide strong leadership and representational skills in a multi-disciplinary setting.
- Strong understanding of campaigning, communications, and media work. Track record in planning and implementation of influencing strategies, with an ability to develop and lead others – including partners – to deliver strategic outputs in line with the requirements of an evolving strategy.
- Experience in alliance building in working with civil society partners and across multi-cultural environments.
- Experience in program development and fundraising/proposal writing, ideally focused on people on the move.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible and sensitive in demanding situations with individuals from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Ability to work under pressure and outside of normal working hours during crisis moments (this will be followed by proper leave compensation).
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Fluency in Dutch and English, both verbal and written. French is a strong plus.
- Applicants must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work/residence permit for the European Union and possess travel permits.
Working at Oxfam Novib
You will be working in the SAFE unit of Oxfam Novib’s Office in The Hague.
- All our work is guided by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality.
- At Oxfam Novib, we work according to the Feminist Principles – Oxfam Policy & Practice.
- Oxfam Novib is committed to offer you a motivating work environment at our offices in The Hague. We offer a one-year contract from start (including a 1-month trial period), with a view to extension upon satisfactory performance.
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 10. The salary range is between €3.469,- and €5.339,- gross on the basis of 36 hours per week.
- Depending on candidate preferences, the postholder can work 32 or 36 hours.
- Oxfam Novib is based on the power of difference. That is why we aim to attract a diverse mix of talented people who share our standards, values and principles, and who are committed to prevent and eliminate any type of misconduct. Given the current composition of the Unit, we encourage male and/or LGBTQI candidates, and candidates with a migration or displacement background to apply.
- We have an active policy against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any form of abuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. This subject will be covered in our application and selection process.
- Do you believe that this is the job you are looking for? Then we would love to meet you! Please send your resume and cover letter via our application portal.
- If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Suying Lai, Manager of the SAFE Unit at email@example.com
- Only applications received before the closing date 31 October 2023 and submitted via our application portal Oxfam Novib Displacement and Migration Lead will be considered.
- This job opening is posted internally and externally, simultaneously. Internal candidates are given preference if they are sufficiently qualified or can be obtained in short term. We believe it’s important in our organization that our employees are offered maximum opportunities for growth in new themes and competencies. Priority for internal candidates supports this.
- At the time of a contract offer, it is necessary for Oxfam Novib to request valid references. Our candidates will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including criminal records and terrorism, financial checks or integrity screenings/references.
- Oxfam Novib reserves the right, to its sole discretion, not to make agreements regarding this job opening, make an agreement in a lower level, or make an agreement with an amended job description.
- We are currently working hybrid (50% in the office in The Hague and 50% at home).
- Qualified candidates residing in the Netherlands, or other EU/EEA countries and who are willing to relocate to the Netherlands at their own expense and responsibility, are encouraged to apply.
- Oxfam Novib is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.