Senior Specialist Financial Sector
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. This means that we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organisations (affiliates) plus the Oxfam International Secretariat, all working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality.
|Deadline for Applications:||02.06.2021 (midnight, CET)|
|Unit:||FAIR Financial Systems and Investments|
|Duty Station:||The Hague, The Netherlands|
|Salary||3245,- till 4994,-|
|Working Hours:||24 -36 hours per week|
Description of the Department
The core responsibility of the Programs Department is to achieve impact. Therefore the department designs, supports and manages our programs/projects and global campaigns that help achieve our 10 year vision (Manifesto) of an inclusive (Equal), secure (Safe), equitable (Fair) and sustainable (Green) world in an efficient and effective manner, ensuring high quality. The Department is also responsible for engaging with institutional donors and leads on program quality and learning frameworks.
Purpose of Unit
The Senior specialist financial sector is a member of the unit FAIR Financial Systems and Investments of 16 people at Oxfam Novib. The Unit is responsible for our work on pressuring (international) financial sector and governments to reverse the trend of growing inequalities, increasing rights abuses and climate crises , for fundamental changes to public and private sector policies and practices, so that wealth, profits, and welfare are shared more equally and transparently, and the climate and environmental crises is addressed.
It implements various advocacy and capacity building projects, including work on the Dutch IMVO sectoral agreements, the Dutch Eerlijke Geldwijzer, Fair Finance International and mandatory human rights and environmental due diligence for companies. Fair Finance International is a network of 70 civil society organisations in 13 countries. The unit works closely with allies, Oxfam country offices and partners.
When we wake you up in the middle of the night, you will immediately argue why banks, insurance companies and pension funds should strengthen their sustainability policies. After breakfast, you have informed at least three members of parliament which opportunities they have to contribute to a financial sector that does not harm the planet. And if by lunch time Dutch media want to know how Novib thinks about the latest investment of bank X, pension fund Y or insurance company Z, you will give the perfect explanation how that investment helps or hinders the pursuit of equal human rights for people on the other end of the world.
As you see, we are looking for an experienced specialist financial sector. You will be one of the key persons within Oxfam Novib who leads and implements our work and supports others to push financial sector towards a more inclusive and sustainable future with investments that do good instead of harming human rights, equal development and the environment. You will represent us in different national and international arena’s: political, financial an civil society.
- Develop and implement influencing strategies aimed at Dutch and international financial sector;
- Develop, implement and report on projects with a focus on the responsibilities of Dutch and international financial sector;
- Represent Oxfam Novib in different types of engagement with the financial sector, e.g. the International Responsible Business Conduct Agreements;
- Act as a spokesperson for Oxfam Novib on sustainability issues in the financial sector, communicating Oxfam’s views to other stakeholders and the media;
- Strengthen the cooperation of Oxfam Novib withCSO’s, Oxfam affiliates and other stakeholders at Dutch and international level on influencing / campaigning for a stable, sustainable and inclusive financial sector, including the coalitions in the Fair Finance International network;
- Lead and contribute to the development of new policy positions, analyses, projects, campaign or research as part of the Oxfam Novib program strategy towards a stable, sustainable and inclusive financial sector;
- Participate or initiate knowledge development / sharing and mutual learning amongst Oxfam and partners regarding the Financial / Private Sector and how to influence it;
- Contribute or lead on fundraising for (new) projects to external donors, possibly in partnership with Financial Sector actors;
- Provide input for and facilitate the further development of benchmark and research methodologies with regard to the Financial Sector, such as the Fair Finance Guide Methodology
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in a relevant field;
- Demonstrable experience of 5 years in working on, in or with financial sector and international value-chains;
- At least 3 years of experience working in an international context or on international development issues; you bring a culturally sensitive attitude;
- At least 5 years of experience of working as a lobbyist on sustainability issues in the financial sector;
- Good experience in benchmarking and research on Financial Sector;
- Good experience in project development and project management;
Fluency in English is required, fluency in Dutch preferred.
- Cooperation ;
- Networking ;
- Written communication.
You have a commitment to Oxfam’s humanitarian principles and commitment to Oxfam’s equal opportunity and gender policies.
What we offer
For initial appointments, Oxfam Novib offers a contract of maximum one year (including a one-month probationary period) with possibility of extension. The position is based in The Hague, The Netherlands. Oxfam is committed to providing a fair compensation package a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 10. The gross salary range is between €3245,- till 4994,-, on the basis of 36 hours per week. Benefits typically include annual pay increases, performance-related salary increases, holiday allowance, contributions to commuting costs, vacation days, parental, care and special leave, a private bicycle scheme, pension scheme, etc.
- Applications from qualified candidates from all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are encouraged.
- If you have any questions about the job description, please contact Maarten De Vuyst, Unit Manager, at email@example.com
- If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Annelies Staal, Human Resources Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only applications submitted before the closing date and through our recruitment portal will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
- Although we are currently working remotely, upon appointment, you will be expected to be located in the duty station and to have a valid work permit for the Netherlands. Oxfam Novib is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
- Applications received by email will not be processed.
- Oxfam aims to attract a diverse mix of talented people that share our standards, values, principles, and are committed to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. High priority is placed on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
- All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism, finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
- Oxfam Novib retains the discretion to not make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.