The purpose of the SAFE GOAL Unit within the Oxfam Novib Programs Department is to develop and co-implement (influencing) programs in the following areas: Supporting People on the Move, and Promoting Safe and Resilient Communities. The Unit is also responsible for upholding and promoting Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate within Oxfam Novib through program and proposal development, resource mobilization and grant management. The Unit oversees, coordinates and delivers impactful externally funded SAFE (multi-country) programs and projects and supports conflict sensitivity mainstreaming within Oxfam Novib and the wider Oxfam.
Following the promotion of a team member to another team, Oxfam Novib SAFE Unit is looking for a new Humanitarian Project Leader. The ideal candidate is an experienced, proactive, and enthusiastic project leader with the capacity to contribute meaningfully to proposal and program development efforts, and support quality implementation and reporting. Thematic areas of interest for the Unit include anticipatory action, the humanitarian-development-peace triple nexus, equal partnerships and local humanitarian leadership, and innovation.
- Support Oxfam Country Offices and Oxfam Novib SAFE Unit with proposal development, grant management and reporting work, including Dutch Relief Alliance (DRA), ECHO, UN and SHO. This includes leading and/or coordinating on proposal development.
- Provide technical and thematic input and/or liaise with relevant technical and thematic colleagues within Oxfam International (e.g. the Global Humanitarian Team) and Oxfam Novib for proposal development.
- In case of DRA consortium lead, be responsible for overall compliance, acting as the principal donor liaison, and operationalizing Oxfam Novib and DRA/donor policy into practice.
- Support on project implementation, including identifying risks and challenges in relation to program progress and quality.
- Undertake representational tasks on behalf of the SAFE Unit, for example in the DRA working groups.
- Be responsible for coordinating Oxfam Novib’s back office support role during emergency scale-ups.
- Act as programmatic focal point during humanitarian appeals. This includes checking contextual and programmatic content and providing information on the Oxfam response.
Who are we looking for?
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian relief work and funding strategies, including Sphere, Core Humanitarian Standard, and understanding of the Dutch humanitarian sector (e.g. DRA, SHO)
- Experience working in crisis contexts in a humanitarian/development capacity
- A proven track record in contributing to humanitarian program development and successful proposal writing
- Thematic knowledge and affinity with areas of work that expand the knowledge base of the Unit (currently concentrated in anticipatory action, nexus and local humanitarian leadership), e.g. knowledge on green humanitarian programming
- Excellent proposal/policy writing and (inter-cultural) communication skills
- Ability to think and act strategically, and creatively to address problems
- Ability to work calmly and collegially under pressure and with short deadlines, to multi-task and to be agile
- Ability and willing to travel at short notice for proposal development and/or implementation, including to crisis contexts (given the current composition of the team, this is likely not more than once per year)
- Strong cultural sensitivity and gender awareness.
The following are mandatory:
- Applicants must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work/residence permit for the European Union and possess travel permits.
- Have excellent written & spoken English skills. Given the current composition of the team, working proficiency in French will be highly desirable.
Working at Oxfam Novib
- All our work is guided by our core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness, Courage, Solidarity and Equality.
- At Oxfam Novib, we work according to the Feminist Principles – Oxfam Policy & Practice.
- Oxfam Novib is committed to offer you a motivating work environment at our offices in The Hague. We offer a one-year contract from start (including a 1-month trial period), with the possibility to extend.
- Oxfam Novib offers an attractive and honest benefits package, including a year-end allowance and yearly pay increase from the Collective Labor Agreement. Moreover, we offer complementary options to choose from. The salary range for this position is set in scale 9 with a salary range between €3.112,- and €4.788,- gross based on 36 hours a week.
- We are currently working hybrid (50% in the office in The Hague and 50% at home).
- Oxfam Novib is based on the power of difference. That is why we aim to attract a diverse mix of talented people who share our standards, values and principles, and who are committed to prevent and eliminate any type of misconduct.
- We have an active policy against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any form of abuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. This subject will be covered in our application and selection process.
- Do you believe that this is the job you are looking for? Then we would love to meet you! Please send your resume and cover letter via our application portal Project Specialist: Humanitarian Project Leader (oxfamnovib.nl).
- If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Suying Lai, Manager SAFE Unit, firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Only applications received before the closing date 3 January 2024 and submitted via our application portal will be considered.
- This job opening is posted internally and externally, simultaneously. Internal candidates are given preference if they are sufficiently qualified or can be obtained in short term. We believe it’s important in our organization that our employees are offered maximum opportunities for growth in new themes and competencies. Priority for internal candidates supports this.
- At the time of a contract offer, it is necessary for Oxfam Novib to request valid references. Our candidates will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including criminal records and terrorism, financial checks or integrity screenings/references.
- Oxfam Novib reserves the right, to its sole discretion, not to make agreements regarding this job opening, make an agreement in a lower level, or make an agreement with an amended job description.
- Qualified candidates residing in the Netherlands, or other EU/EEA countries and who are willing to relocate to the Netherlands at their own expense and responsibility, are encouraged to apply.
- Oxfam Novib is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.