Becoming part of Oxfam? Oxfam OPT is looking for a:
MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
- Deadline for applications: 30 April 2023
- Duty station: OPT – Jerusalem (with flexibility)
- Type of appointment: Fixed-term Contract
- Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Reports to: Advocacy and Media Manager
- Salary & Scale: International posting ONL Grading 708 (min 2985 EUR Gross/ month – max 4591EUR Gross/ month). National staff can also apply, however national conditions are applicable – OI Grading C2.
- Contract duration: 1 year
- Start date: As soon as possible.
Department/ Team Purpose:
- Ensuring that Oxfam’s influencing around the world including campaigns, advocacy, policy, research, communications, media, and digital work is high impact, and achieves systemic change with an overall framing on inequality and gender, rights, and justice.
- Leading, convening & managing Oxfam’s influencing work across the world. Working with countries, regions, and affiliates, consulting, co-creating, and setting vision and direction of travel for Oxfam’s worldwide influencing work.
- Embedding an integrated people-powered approach in all Oxfam’s influencing work.
- Enabling a strategic approach to working with allies and partners for influencing, ensuring co-creation, organizational humility, and support for partnerships and allyships.
- Lead the design and implementation of Oxfam OPTI’s media and communications plans and strategies for OPT, in support of advocacy and programme objectives at global, national and international level
- Leading on proactive and reactive media work e.g. press releases, media reactions, media advisories, (drafting, sign-off and pitching) backgrounding, op-eds, etc. which showcase Oxfam in OPT’s work, raise the voices of the people we work with, mitigate risk and amplify messaging.
- Work with and provide strategic advice to the country team (Senior Management Team, influencing and program team) to identify key moments for communication and media opportunities.
- Provide media advice to the Advocacy and Media Manager, Country Director and Programme Leads on communication & media work underpinning advocacy efforts, and manage the sign off.
- Develop and write press releases, statements, talking points and messaging op-eds, stories and other media/communications material for public use.
- Overall management and facilitation of all public material that is issued by the country office – social media, publications, media, reports, brochures. Ensuring correct sign off processes and high quality impactful products suitable for an international audience.
- Create compelling, creative, and engaging visual storytelling products to show the daily realities, and raise the voices, of Palestinians and manage sign off as per the OPT sign off policy.
- Work with influencing colleagues and the country team to identify and manage risk, develop reactive lines, update key messages and advise on how to use media strategically in a sensitive environment.
- Work with colleagues across OPT to gather newsworthy content and stories, in line with Oxfam’s content gathering guidelines.
- Manage media requests from journalists and from media colleagues in Oxfam efficiently.
- Implement and manage the Oxfam in OPTI’s social media platforms, ensuring it is regularly update with compelling content that can be shared across the Oxfam confederation.
- Ensure donor requirements for projects are aligned with and promote the media and communication strategies
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists covering topics aligned to Oxfam’s mandate in OPT.
- Build and maintain Oxfam in OPT’s profile internally within Oxfam.
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage generated and to draw lessons to improve coverage and quality of messaging.
- Ensure protection of Oxfam’s brand, and adherence to procedures, protocols and policies, including guidelines for interviewing vulnerable people and documenting permission for use of digital images
- Build the capacity of Oxfam staff and partner organisations to produce high quality media and communications products and facilitate media interviews.
- Where necessary engage with international media to raise global awareness of the situation for people in OPT including developing news and feature stories.
- Oversea the management of the monitoring of the impact of OPT CO comms, and ensuring that complaints, ‘backlash’ and /or any other comments relating to Oxfam OPT comms work is logged and responded to as appropriate.
- Line manage media and comms team, including goal setting and workplans, personal development plans, and any follow-up on HR processes. Lead on and participate in recruitments as needed.
- Potential management of small funds, and oversight of media/publication framework agreements.
- Work with the Advocacy and Media Manager to manage brand and potential brand risks in Oxfam’s media work and lead any crisis communications response
- Liaise with program staff and affiliates to ensure proper brand management, ensuring proposals and activities are in line with Oxfam’s brand guidelines.
Contingency planning & emergency response:
- Manage Oxfam’s media response to humanitarian crises, working with other stakeholders;
- Contribute to Oxfam’s contingency planning from a media and communications perspective. In emergency peaks, coordinate the Oxfam media/comms response as well taking a leading role during organisational crises and when dealing with issues around reputation management.
- Proactively identify emerging issues and develop mitigations plans
Partnerships & networking:
- Where possible, advise, liaise with and/or facilitate advice to a diverse network of Oxfam partner organisations in their media efforts;
- Coordinate and collaborate with networks of other international and local agencies, journalists, media outlets and influencers on developing and delivering media and communications work.
Strategic steer & coordination:
- Coordinate with the wider Oxfam coordination structure on Rights in Crisis, feeding in OPT information to global, regional and affiliate media and communications teams as needed;
- Support the Advocacy and Media Manager and others in building consensus among Oxfam affiliates on media work, and coordinating internal media sign-off process;
- Contribute to Oxfam’s internal annual and/or quarterly planning and reporting
Who are we looking for?
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience years in the field of media and communication in development and/or humanitarian advocacy, preferably in an INGO
- Bachelor (BA) or Degree from a recognised university/college in Media & Communications, Journalism, International relations, Business Management or any other related areas that can bring added value to the job.
- Understanding of the Palestinian context and the media context and environment pertaining to the Occupation.
- Demonstratable experience working in media, either for an NGO or in journalism, in crisis-affected countries.
- Experience in writing clear, compelling media products including press releases, media reactions, opinion pieces, Q&As, talking points, key messages, case studies, factsheets/briefings etc.
- Experience in collecting human interest case studies, including photos and basic filming.
- Experience in working creatively to identify and develop new ways to use media to share Oxfam’s key messages and amplify the voices of Palestinians
- Experience in producing and/ or commissioning written and audio/ visual media and communications materials and strong capacity to deliver these within short deadlines
- Experience in managing risk in sensitive situations and organisational reputation/issues management
- Experience in working with journalists and pitching media stories to top-tier outlets globally.
- Experience in managing social media channels including developing the social media content (key messaging, creating attractive and creative visuals such as infographics and staying on top of social media trends.)
- Understanding of the political situation in OPT, and humanitarian policy.
- Good analytical and conceptual skills with a strategic perspective, ability to understand and synthesize complex issues and information from different sources and present it clearly and simply to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in managing staff and supporting their development through coaching, training and an empowering management style.
- Extremely strong interpersonal and negotiating skills, enjoys building and maintaining a wide range of relationships.
- Strong organisational and planning skills with an understanding of how to plan, adjust and implement a strategy and capable of working independently.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills, with an emphasis on a clear and direct, easy to read written style and keen eye for detail.
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a high-pressure environment and to prioritise and manage assignments in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work well in a collaborative team as well as remotely with global teams across different time zones and with cultural differences.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Working at Oxfam Novib
- At Oxfam Novib, we work according to the Feminist Principles – Oxfam Policy & Practice.
- Oxfam Novib is based on the power of difference. That is why we aim to attract a diverse mix of talented people who share our standards, values and principles, and who are committed to prevent and eliminate any type of misconduct.
- We have an active policy against sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any form of abuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. This subject will be covered in our application and selection process.
- At the time of a contract offer, it is necessary for Oxfam Novib to request valid references. Our candidates will be subject to appropriate screening checks, including criminal records and terrorism, financial checks or integrity screenings/references.
- Do you believe that this is the job you are looking for? Then we would love to receive your application! Click here to apply: Media and Communication Coordinator (oxfamnovib.nl)
- Be aware that only applications received before the closing date (Sunday 30th of April) and submitted via our application portal will be taken into consideration.
- If you have questions regarding the position, please contact Rand Qawasmi: email@example.com
- This job opening is posted internally and externally, simultaneously. Internal candidates are given preference if they are sufficiently qualified or can be obtained in short term. We believe it’s important in our organization that our employees are offered maximum opportunities for growth in new themes and competencies. Priority for internal candidates supports this.
Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated.