Openness and communications are at the heart of what we do at Akvo. As we continue to grow rapidly, we need to reach the right people with the right messages about how Akvo can help them improve their international development work. We're looking for a really talented marcomms professional with visual flair, a creative and analytical mind, and a passion for developing new ways to share great stuff for the global good. It's likely to involve some travel.
This role is based in Amsterdam and reports to our Head of Marketing and Communications.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Analyse data from our service users, our communications outlets and other market research information and apply your findings to help us hone our outreach across different channels. Experiment with a variety of organic and paid-for approaches.
- Work with teams across the organisation, as well as our partners and consortia programmes, to coordinate and support marketing activities such as tradeshows, events, webinars, web content production, social media, email bulletins and newsletters and PR.
- Participate in and manage the production of materials in different on- and offline media and languages, working closely with our partner, support, engineering and communications teams and directly with partners and consortia. Take briefs regarding requirements and provide sound communications advice as to the best execution.
- Act as a communications and coordination point between the Amsterdam teams and other hub offices and teams, ensuring information and materials are shared across and beyond the organisation effectively.
- Support internal communications.
Requirements and competencies:
- Three to five years experience of working in a communications and marketing role.
- Excellent English, including the ability to produce compelling written content in simple language, and to edit other people's writing.
- Ability to take an accurate brief - which means asking the right questions - and provide sound communications advice and input to ensure high quality results that meet identified needs.
- Ability to manage a production process involving different teams, individuals and/or organisation's.
- A good understanding of the principles of visual design; a great sense of when something looks good, or, when it's not working, how to address it.
- Understanding of how to optimise materials so that they can be adapted for different formats, devices, geographic settings and languages, including situations where internet access is intermittent or slow.
- Ability to work well with different people, within and across teams, and by yourself.
- Awareness of considerations for an international organisation with colleagues, partners and audiences who are distributed across the globe and come from many different nationalities and cultures.
It would be nice if you also had some of these competencies:
- Additional language(s) would be an asset, particularly Spanish, French.
- Awareness and understanding of open source technology and practices.
- Experience or understanding of the international development sector.
- Awareness and understanding of issues and initiatives related to aid transparency and the capture, understanding and sharing of data for decision-making.
- Experience and understanding of video production and editing techniques.
- Understanding of software development processes.
- A degree or professional qualification in communications, marketing, design or similar.
- An active presence in social media (particularly Twitter) and familiarity with tools such as Wordpress, Skype, Dropbox, Flickr, Google Docs and image and video editing software.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to work with interesting technologies in a creative, mission-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
- Interesting, varied and creative projects to work on.
- Ample opportunity to shape your own professional development, as well as playing a role in steering Akvo's development.
- An opportunity to be part of an inspiring, global, internal and external network of professionals, eager to make data-driven decision-making work.
- A competitive salary.
This is a full-time position based in Amsterdam. If applicable, you must already have a work permit for the Netherlands. This position involves some international travel.
To apply for the position, please send your motivation letter and resume, in PDF to Alvaro de Salvo at work[at]akvo.org before 5 June 2017. Please mention in the subject: Marcomms executive - Amsterdam.