PAX stands for peace and brings people together who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build just and peaceful societies across the globe.
PAX means peace. For over 60 years PAX has worked together with people in (post) conflict areas and concerned citizens to build just and peaceful societies across the globe. In times of war and conflict, PAX works towards protection of civilians whatever their political or religious background. Our peace building work in conflict areas is based on values of human dignity and solidarity with peace activists and victims of war violence. In our peace work, the protection and security of civilians leads our responses to conflicts. For 15 years, PAX has worked in Syria. Here you can read about the things we do. An example is Siege Watch, about the sieges and the humanitarian disaster these lead to.
PAX is looking for Syrian refugees to volunteer as speakers at schools
Volunteer as speaker!
The project ‘Story of a Refugee’ aims to give Dutch students insight in dilemma’s refugees face as well as knowledge about the conflict in Syria through sharing personal stories. We are looking for Syrians who want to join PAX in achieving this by sharing their personal stories, and become volunteer speakers for this project!
As a speaker you will be visiting Dutch schools (students aged 12-23). During these visits, you will give a presentation in which you share your personal story. For example you talk about your daily life in Syria, life under the regime and/or ISIS, where you were or what you did during the revolution in 2011 and your personal reasons to leave Syria. You also talk about your journey from Syria to the Netherlands, your life right now, your stay in the Netherlands and dreams for the future. We think it is key that students ask questions and interact with you on a personal level. We think this leads to a connection, empathy and more understanding. Dutch students will get to know you as a human being instead of just a refugee. Apart from your presentations, the project consists of a digital ‘serious game’ in which students gain information about the conflict in Syria and a training for teachers. For more information on the project see www.verhaalvaneenvluchteling.nl.
Does your story Qualify?
Almost all stories qualify, we value diversity. We welcome people who just arrived in the Netherlands as well as people who have been here for some time already. It doesn’t matter if you came by boat or by airplane through family reunification. Finally, PAX is not a neutral party concerning what is happening in Syria. To us it is important that you feel comfortable with this.
You will be visiting schools approximately twice a month during weekday’s. PAX colleagues will accompany you to the schools. In order to prepare and develop yourself as a speaker, you’ll join a training, as well as monthly workshops and meetings with PAX and other speakers.
Profile & Qualifications
- Are born in Syria and have knowledge about the situation in Syria
- Are currently living in the Netherlands and have a valid residence permit for the Netherlands
- Are willing to share your personal story, not only facts
- Preferably were involved in a peace and/or civil society organisation in Syria
- Respect values as non-violence, democracy, diversity, gender equality and human rights
- Are fluent in English or Dutch
- Are flexible and available at least twice a month for half a yearchool visits and meet-ups
- Have the ability reflect upon your personal wellbeing
- Are aware and capable to respond to direct or embarrassing questions from students
- An opportunity to contribute to the discussion about refugees, to tell people about Syria and to contribute to more understanding in Dutch society;
- Training in public speaking, intercultural communication, dealing with emotions, et cetera;
- A volunteer contract and a certificate of participation;
- Compensation and reimbursement of travel costs and other expenses
- Support and accompaniment where necessary.
Application and information
General information about PAX and its work can be found on our website www.paxforpeace.nl
For more information on this project please contact Laura Bolle firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone; +31 (0)30 233 33 46.
Interested? Please send us a short letter and resumé in which you explain why you want to participate in the project and what you would like to tell about Syria. Send them before 12 May 2019, Only via the application form on vacancy page of our website.
Candidates will be invited for interviews at the 20th, 23th or the 27th of May 2019.
Selected candidates will attend a 3 day training in June and July 2019 in Utrecht.