Our Landscape and Commodities program brings together businesses, government, farmers, communities and civil society to build sustainable governance models across tropical forest regions, or landscapes. Through our three-pronged PPI approach, we create areas where agricultural products are grown sustainably (Production), forests and natural resources are safeguard (Protection), and communities thrive (Inclusion).
IDH is a dynamic and demanding organization of about 200 staff members and consultants at the HQ in Utrecht, the Netherlands and hubs in South America, Asia and Africa.
To support these developments IDH is recruiting a:
Senior Manager Strategy & Development
Based in Utrecht, the Netherlands
IDH is looking for an organized, service-oriented, team player with a strong interest in supply chain sustainability and climate change, and who finds partnership building a necessary and fascinating art. You are both practical and analytical, work well in a team, flexible but also driven and able to work independently and in response to needs of the organisation. You work in a results-oriented, flexible and hands-on manner.
As Senior Manager, you report to Global Director Landscapes.
In the landscapes programme we focus on landscapes in tropical regions of Asia, Africa and South America that produce globally traded agricultural and forestry commodities such as cocoa, coffee, tea, beef, soy, timber and palm oil. The program currently operates in 12 countries and 16 landscapes, and services markets in Europe, Latin America and Asia.
As Senior Manager Strategy & Development, you are part of IDH’s global landscape team and will work closely together with colleagues working across the world. Moreover, you will also be involved in the thought-leadership and practice in the landscapes programme, both internally and externally. You help set-up and drive our internal advisory services on sustainable landscapes.
In this role you will support our teams in the landscapes and markets with strategic knowledge and the development of new programs.
- Take the lead, with the global director landscapes, in designing and kick-starting programs for new countries, landscapes and markets. This work is turning new ideas and concepts into tangible programs, some of which will initially be spear-headed by you till the program team is in place;
- Together with the input from IDH’s learning and innovation team, you analyze the success factors (and failures) of existing interventions. These insights are used by you to drive the design of new interventions and to reflect with program colleagues on whether existing interventions need to be changed / adjusted based on the insights;
- Further developing and steering a landscape-team wide peer-to-peer network that helps deliver and improve upon our key products and services;
- Together with the global director landscapes and landscape’s program senior team, you are a driving force behind the future strategy and positioning of the landscape program beyond 2020.
- 15+ years working experience;
- Strong knowledge of sustainability, international trade, supply chains and climate change;
- Strong networks in the world of climate change/supply chain sustainability/public governance;
- Experience with stakeholder management in an international and culturally diverse environment;
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English. Additional languages are an advantage but not required;
- Willingness to travel internationally, extensively.
- Effective relationship-builder, deal-maker and innovator;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, in writing and verbally;
- Analytical, responsive, makes complex issues simple and ability to formulate in writing;
- Highly flexible, able to take initiative and work independently and at the same time a team player;
- Organized with excellent project management skills;
- The ability to work with international teams and to foster collaboration between teams to enable collaborative solutions;
- Result oriented.
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and mission driven team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 32-40 hours per week, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/124103/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 28 February 2019. Candidates are based in the Netherlands or should have permission to work in the Netherlands.