RNW Media is an international organisation that builds digital communities for social change. We use online media to engage young people (15-30 years old) on sensitive and often-taboo subjects – from love, sex and relationships to civic participation. Through our platforms, young people get comprehensive science- and rights-based information and a safe space to focus on their aspirations and engage in constructive dialogue about what really matters to them.
The millions of young people who visit our platforms and engage with us and each other, provide us with important insights on the issues that matter to them and the needs they have. Our PMEL team collaborates with country teams and strategic partners to analyze these insights and bring the evidence of young people’s views and needs to the attention of decision- and opinion-makers. PMEL stands for Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
RNW Media is looking for a:
In a challenging, international and dynamic environment
As our Data Scientist you work in a fast-changing and international environment where you are responsible for designing, realising, managing and optimising RNW Media’s data framework.
You convert a collection of data into usable information through which you contribute to RNW Media’s decision-making, performance improvement and demonstrating programme progress and impact.
Being analytical, pro-active, impact-driven, accurate and have excellent communication skills defines you.
Position in the organisation
The Data Scientist is a position within the Programmes & Implementation department and you will report to the PMEL Manager. You work closely with the Data Analyst, PMEL team, Programme Managers, Digital Manager and country teams.
What will your responsibilities be?
As a Data Scientist you will be expected to:
- Be first point of contact regarding (big) data, reports and dashboards and the one that brings RNW Media and Technology together;
- Support and advise stakeholders in defining and specifying data needs, wishes and requirements and uses this information to design, develop and implement RNW Media’s data framework;
- Continuously analyse and optimize our data framework and recommend different ways to constantly improve our data reliability and quality;
- Document new code for analyses, data methodologies, functional documentation and best practices;
- Support analysing (online) data;
- (Co-) create periodical and ad-hoc reports, visualising data insights and conclusions
What are the job requirements?
Our desired new colleague has:
- At least 5 years experience with complex data models and data-management systems;
- Preferably a Masters’ degree in marketing, psychology, social sciences, economy or related with a strong focus on quantitative methodology;
- Knowledge and experience with programming languages: R. (Python is considered a plus);
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written;
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of Arabic, Chinese or French is considered an asset.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits, you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of professionals representing several countries, working both in Hilversum and in our focus countries. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality work. You also get to work in an office with a great green space right up against a national forest. The Hilversum Media Park train station is less than a 15-minute walk. We offer a one-year contract based on 36 hours per week. The position has a competitive compensation & benefits package aligned with the sector.
How to apply?
You can express your interest in this position by completing the application form before November 14th. Only applicants with a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands will be considered. If we appoint a suitable candidate before closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed.
It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and if you have not yet heard from us, your application remains active.
Acquisition is not appreciated.