We believe there are two crucial factors that determine good health and well-being: Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) and access to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). Our integrated approach of these two expertise areas is reflected in our programmes to achieve the greatest impact possible for the most disadvantaged groups in Africa and Asia. Our communications, lobby and advocacy efforts aim to engage the general public and involve them in what we do.
Since 1925, we have been working with local partners, the private sector, knowledge institutes, donors, alliance partners and governments to realise our highest ambition. We are amongst others the lead NGO in the WASH SDG Consortium and the Golden Line programme. And we are member of the Get Up Speak Out Alliance and the More than Brides Alliance.
In 2017, we have restructured our organisation. We introduced an agile style of working. Moving away from a hierarchical organisation into a ‘flat’ circles based organisation instead of departments. Each employee has one or more roles, which may vary in time. The roles are grouped into seven functional circles, each with a specific purpose and its responsibilities.
As our Senior Communication Officer you are responsible for building a strong profile of the work and impact of Simavi. You provide (strategic) communication advice in diverse projects (programmes, fundraising, brand) and gather and create valuable content for our different stakeholders.
The Senior Communication Officer is coached by the Director Fundraising & Communication (F&C).
Your main tasks and responsibilities
- Responsible for development and implementation of (programme) communication strategies to ensure visibility of the programmes;
- For example: visibility strategy for the programmes that comply with donor guidelines, takes into consideration the context and the women-centred logic of the programmes.
- Creating valuable content for Simavi about the themes, the programmes, institutional and private fundraising, and the brand identity.
- Co-develops and executes the content strategy and –calendar.
- Signals and translates external trends into Simavi’s strategy and vision.
- Increase awareness, engagement and conversion.
- Translate the complexity of the various programmes and themes Simavi is working on into a good story and make them accessible for different stakeholders.
- Jointly responsible for maintaining and improving online reputation.
- Developing content for social media platforms and anticipating discussions and questions on social about specific topics.
- Able to draft media analyses, competition analyses and stakeholder analyses.
- Advising on communication issues
- Providing strategic and tactical advice (and arranging or executing of communication activities resulting from this) in relation to the development of spearheads, files and cross-links of Simavi and her mission and vision.
- Attending and developing brainstorm sessions for possible communication approaches.
- Managing accounts and relations
- Maintains and expands own internal and external network of stakeholders, suppliers and relations.
- Maintaining and expands own (press) network.
- Advises the management, colleagues and other collaborating partners on communication issues.
- In co-creation with programme management and communication: drawing up media lists, organising press events, editing and translation of relevant content.
Do you recognise yourself in this profile?
- A bachelor level of education in a relevant field.
- At least 5 years of experience in strategic communications.
- Extensive communication and preferably journalistic/editorial experience.
- A genuine interest in the NGO sector, in particularly in WASH and SRHR themes.
- Experience with behavioural change communication (e.g. awareness raising, advocacy messages).
- Experience in developing and writing complex content; to produce or to make it simple.
- Online experience and knowledge of social media.
- Experience in working in WordPress and InDesign is a plus.
- Flawless writing skills in Dutch and English.
- Proactive and pragmatic, thinking from opportunities and possibilities.
- Creative and full of initiative.
- Result-driven and entrepreneurial.
- You stand your ground and know how to provide feedback in a positive way.
- You are a team player and are open to others opinions and ideas.
- Eligible to work in the Netherlands.
What do we offer?
Simavi offers a result-driven and challenging position in an international working environment, with considerable ways to make a difference. Besides a fun and healthy working environment (i.e. weekly bootcamp sessions, agile way of working and healthy lunches), we are an equal opportunity employer meaning we don’t discriminate in our hiring practices and we actively seek a diverse applicant pool. Our five core values lie at the basis of everything we do: just, sustainable, empowering, inspiring, connecting.
We offer a contract for 1 year for 32-36 hours per week with possible extension. The salary we offer depends on the years of working experience you bring along and will be within the salary range of € 2,755.- and € 3,887.- gross per month for a fulltime contract of 36 hours per week (i.e. a range of € 2,448.- to € 3,455.- gross per month for a contract of 32 hours per week).
Our office is located at Naritaweg 135, which is a 2 minutes’ walk from train station Amsterdam Sloterdijk.
How to apply?
Do you recognise yourself in the profile and do you want to contribute to Simavi’s mission and vision? Please upload your motivation letter and resume (in English, max. 4 pages) before 6 March 2019 via this application link: http://simavi.onlinevacatures.nl/vacancy/details/124202.
Do you have questions about this position? Please send your question to Brecht Janssen (email@example.com) with Sr. Communication Officer in the subject line.
The procedure consists of 2 interview rounds, a case study and a reference check.
Is this not your challenge? Support Simavi by sharing this vacancy with your network!
Because physical and emotional safety of children is crucial for Simavi, we do not accept any form of abuse. Child safeguarding is addressed in our recruitment and selection process.
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.