Working together with RNW Media is much more than an assignment. RNW Media helps people speak freely, have conversations about what really matters to them – both personally and politically – and find the information they need to make their own choices about their future. RNW Media is active in China and in countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Arab world. Apply now to be part of a great and growing movement!
RNW Media is looking for a:
Regional Manager Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
Vacancy number 18 – 030
based in DRC
36 hours per week on assignment
starting 1 February 2019, for one year with potential for renewal
About RNW Media:
RNW Media builds digital communities for social change. We dream of a world where young people in restrictive settings confidently claim their rights, assume their place in society, and shape a better future.
We support young people (18-30 years old) to come together through digital platforms—with websites, WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter and other channels. Through our platforms young people get comprehensive science- and rights-based information and a safe space to focus on their aspirations and engage in constructive dialogue about what really matters to them. Your job will be to support young people on our platforms to find their voices, make informed choices and build their communities to drive social change.
We have three global programmes. Two are thematic and one focuses on capacity building. Our thematic programmes are Love Matters and Citizen’s Voice. Love Matters focuses on realising sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), and Citizen’s Voice focuses on promoting social cohesion and inclusive governance. Examples of Citizen’s Voice projects are the Burundian bloggers collective, Yaga, and the Yemen Youth Panel. The RNTC Media Training programme strengthens the knowledge and skills of bloggers, vloggers, and of professional and citizen journalists for today’s media world.
What you have to do (main tasks)
- Responsible for the successful implementation of projects and activities, in line with the grant agreements, the overall strategic programme framework and with special attention to international policies;
- Translate strategic programme and project policies into implementation plans appropriate for region/country, and monitor project implementation;
- Manage the country teams, including setting targets & tasks for team members, evaluate overall performance of the team and manage communication to and from Hilversum;
- Manage the capacity building and quality of the performance of the country team members;
- Develop and oversee implementation of effective recruitment and evaluation procedures for country staff;
- Ensure relevant donor requirements and targets for countries are met;
- Identifies Safety & Security risks, acts as first point of contact in case of issues and provides/supports solutions;
- Manages effective and responsible in-country budgeting, planning and reporting on results and expenditures;
- Reports on in-country performance, achievements and prioritizations on a quarterly level.Together with Programme Management
- Assesses and contributes to the development of innovative projects in the region or country, in line with RNW-wide strategy;
- Develops and implements opportunities for building networks and linking regional networks;
- Identifies and develops (strategic) local partnerships in line with RNW-wide strategy and programme themes at country and regional level;
- Represents RNW Media to external stakeholders on various events, platforms and network groups (locally and globally).
What you need to have (Skills & Experience)
- 5 – 7 years relevant experience;
- Master’s degree in a relevant field;
- Native French speaker and fluent in English;
- Based in Francophone Africa, preferably in Kinshasa (DRC);
- Ability to work efficiently with remote teams and to travel to Hilversum regularly and to DRC and the rest of the region;
- Recognise the mission and vision of RNW Media professionally and personally; feel comfortable on the sensitive topics of program RNW Media is working on in different regions;
- Experience in managing programmes in DRC;
- Knowledge of the political, cultural and human rights environment in DRC;
- Good networking skills and stakeholder knowledge in Francophone Africa;
- Experience in matrix-style work structure;
- Experience or understanding of social change and/or behavior change through media;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong organization and communication skills.
What do we offer?
The assignment is for 36 hours per week with a contract for one year, subject to renewal. Position is based in Democratic Republic of Congo. Fee is based on experience and expertise. What is not part of the deal? We won’t provide you with office space, working permit and relocation costs.
How to apply?
Send us a CV with verifiable references and a 1-page motivation letter, in English, by applying here below. Deadline for application: 31 January 2019.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ONLY UPLOAD FILES THAT ARE EITHER IN PDF OR DOCX
- Acquisition is not appreciated.
- Applicants will be reviewed as they come in. Due to the large number of applications we are likely to receive, unfortunately, we will not be able to respond to every application. Only candidates that are selected for the interview phase will be notified.