Public Affairs Liaison Germany, based in Berlin or Amsterdam
16-20 hours per week, freelance /part-time position
to coordinate FWF’s public affairs in and with Germany.
Who we are
Fair Wear Foundation (FWF) is an Amsterdam-based, international non-profit organisation working to improve labour conditions in garment factories around the world. Over the last 20 years, we have developed a pragmatic and effective approach connecting 130 European brands and factories in 11 production countries. Germany has been an important country for FWF from the very beginning and is one of the most active stakeholder environments in terms of due diligence policies and practices.
The Public Affairs Liaison will be part of the FWF External Relations and Communications team, and will be responsible for:
- Communications and consultation with German stakeholders in the area of sustainable public procurement
- Collaboration on voluntary initiatives such as the Textilbündnis, legislative developments and other smart-mix approaches for the textile and garment industry
- Supporting communications with German-language media
- Raising awareness of labour conditions among key actors in the German garment/textile industry, and of the role FWF plays in improving them
- Co-organising the annual German member and stakeholder meeting
Skills & requirements
- Relevant university degree
- Fluent in German and English
- Ability to effectively navigate and manage relationships in complex multi-stakeholder settings
- Five to ten years’ work experience in one or more relevant fields (public policy, labour rights, CSR, communications, marketing, social dialogue, international development)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including effective writing, public speaking and presentation skills. Some experience with the media is an asset.
- Experience in lobby and/or advocacy: influencing key stakeholders (government, professional procurement, corporate policy makers etc.) to help bring about sustainable policy changes
- Existing networks in German government, trade unions, industry associations etc. are a plus, as are those in relevant international organisations like the OECD, the EU or the ILO.
- Ability to work independently, with effective project management, while at the same time liaising well with colleagues relevant to the work at hand
Location and working hours
Candidate must be located in The Netherlands or Germany; preferably in the Amsterdam or Berlin areas, but other locations can be considered. The dynamics of the job require – and offer – extra flexibility in terms of the distribution of working hours, as well as the location of the work. Regular presence in both Amsterdam and Berlin is to be expected. Freelancers are invited to apply and are requested to indicate whether they are interested in employment or in offering their services as a regular consultant to FWF.
What we offer
- The opportunity to contribute to FWF’s mission to improve labour conditions in the global garment industry
- Attractive NGO terms of employment in accordance with FWF’s standard regulations, with a salary in BBRA scale 11 (€3192 – 4905 gross, depending on relevant work experience)
- Highly professional colleagues who put their heart and soul into their work
- The opportunity to have flexible working hours in an open and international working environment that cherishes diversity as a basis for innovation and impact
Please visit www.fairwear.org for more information about our organisation. For more information about the position, you can call Alexander Kohnstamm (+31 204 084 255).
Ideally, the candidate would start in October 2019; the initial contract will be for 1 year. If you are interested, please send your cv with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 23 August 2019.