Do you have a genuine interest in history and/or education? Are you responsible, efficient, reliable, organised, and aware of cultural differences? Do you have excellent written and communication skills? Then EUROCLIO could be looking for you!
EUROCLIO – European Association of History Educators is a not-for-profit organisation with the mission to inspire and empower historians and educators to engage learners in innovative and responsible history and citizenship education. Since 1992, when EUROCLIO was founded with the support of the Council of Europe, EUROCLIO developed educational resources, organised continued professional development and training courses, and managed projects with and for the professional community of history, heritage and citizenship educators.
Your job will consist of two parts.
As a Project Manager you are responsible for the direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of project within budget and time, while remaining aligned with strategy, commitments and goals of EUROCLIO.
As a Communications Officer you will write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates. You respond to media inquiries, keep track of communication channels, are responsible for the EUROCLIO newsletter and the updating of EUROCLIO’s website.
The working language of EUROCLIO is English.
You need to be willing to travel on a regular basis, including weekends.
You have a genuine interest in history and more and/or education and belief in the mission of EUROCLIO. You are responsible, efficient, reliable, organised, and aware of cultural differences. You are able to design and lead projects, to convince donors and partner to invest time or resources in what you envisage, and able to motivate people to contribute. You are able to identify risks and find ways to counter these, and able to adapt to new situations. You have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- University Master degree in a relevant discipline such as history, social science, journalism, communication, international studies or equivalent.
- Excellent written and spoken command of English.
- Competence in the use of ICT and social media.
- Three or more years of experience as project manager, preferably in a not-for-profit organisation.
- Experience in successfully managing and completing a project from start to finish.
- A proven track record in (English language) communication.
3. Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Proven skills in: Planning project resources, assembling and leading project teams, time management, managing and monitoring budgets, quality assurance, risk management, reporting and documentation.
- An interest in one or more of the focus areas of EUROCLIO’s work:The focus areas are:
- Promote a transnational and multi-perspective approach to history education.
- Make learning history motivating, meaningful and inclusive.
- Use new technologies to enhance history education.
- Prevent and resolve conflicts related to history and memory.
- Support educational reform based on democratic values.
- Use research to advance the teaching and learning of history.
- Advance teaching and learning about the European Union.
- Experience in fundraising, command of other languages than English, and familiarity with WordPress are considered an asset.
- To ensure the successful completion of the Football Makes History project as lead project manager.
- To develop and implement a communication strategy designed to reach out to history, heritage and citizenship educators who are not yet familiar with EUROCLIO and convince them to join.
- To oversee the review of the EUROCLIO Manifesto and the updating of EUROCLIO’s Logo and Housestyle so that it is attuned to the mission and vision of EUROCLIO.
EUROCLIO offers a position for 28.8 hours/week (0.8 fte) at our office in The Hague for a duration of 1 year, with the possibility for extension. Starting date as soon as possible.
As the position is based in the Netherlands, Dutch terms of employment will apply.
The EUROCLIO remuneration package includes social security and pension contributions (ABP pension fund), holiday allowance and 13th month. The salary links to the Dutch Civil Servants ARAR Scales. The salary ranges from 2.500 – 3.000 euro per month gross, based on full time employment (the exact amount determined based on experience).
Extra work days are compensated as lieu days.
The application process
Applicants are invited to send their letter of motivation, curriculum vitae (max 2 pages), by email to email@example.com – referring in the subject line to “Vacancy Project Manager / Communications Officer” before 5 May 2019.
Applicants must be nationals of a European Union member state or have a valid work permit for the EU, and reside or willing to move in a short time frame to The Netherlands.
- First round of interviews on 13 and 14 May.
- Selected candidates go through to a second round of interviews on 28 May. As part of this step you will be asked for a portfolio with examples of written work and references.
- The final decision will be communicated in the week of the second interview.
For further background and information about EUROCLIO, please also refer to our EUROCLIO website at euroclio.eu.