Who we are
We are CARE Nederland, part of CARE, an international development organization active in more than 90 countries. Originating from American food aid to Europe after the Second World War, we have been committed for 75 years to those who need it most. CARE strives for a world without poverty. We are committed to equal rights and fair distribution of wealth. We work in the most difficult places in the world. For the poorest, the most affected, the least heard. Together with local partners and communities, we save lives and ensure sustainable change. We do this by, among other things, providing emergency aid, facilitating female entrepreneurship and encouraging public participation in decision-making. We also make communities resilient against the effects of climate change and natural disasters. Our approach is pragmatic and tailor made. And that works.
The Programme Officer will be part of the Pool of Experts and will be responsible for proposal development, project and contract management of the CARE Nederland projects as well as for maintaining good relations with and developing capacities of assigned CARE Country Offices situated in Africa, Asia and/or Latin America. You will work with Country Teams, which coordinate the implementation of projects in-country, to ensure timely and adequate implementation to meet donor expectations.
You will report to the Heads of Humanitarian Action and/or Sustainable Development on the quality of project development and implementation. You will also participate in project teams for multi-country contracts managed by a coordinator. You will work closely with Project Controllers on financial issues related to the projects.
The PO will act on the following areas:
- Proposal development and managing projects
- Identifies new financial possibilities for the assigned countries that are currently focus countries for CARE Nederland.
- In coordination with assigned Country Offices and in consultation with Heads for Humanitarian Action and/or Sustainable Development develop project proposals for donors.
- Responsible for contract management on the assigned projects, including the relation between thematic and financial project management, monitoring (external) evaluation and reporting. Taking initiative for corrective actions. Follows up on recommendations retrieved from evaluations.
- Coordinates with Project Controller.
- Recruits and accompanies consultants (when necessary).
- Represents CARE Nederland in external meetings with donors or NGOs.
Quality promotion, advice and support
- Pro-actively supports contacts with donors.
- Informs colleagues of the fundraising and communication teams.
- Advises and supports Country Offices with the implementation of the assigned projects.
- Encourages good quality during project implementation. Informs and supports the Country Offices in general.
- Is together with the Project Controller responsible for a good understanding of donor procedures, guidelines, policies and financial possibilities with Country Offices.
- Supports the set-up and/or implementation of the project with his/her expertise.
- Co-developing knowledge and supporting learning across CARE.
We are looking for a candidate that meets the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years of relevant field experience in Africa, Asia and/or Latin America.
- Academic work and thinking level.
- Experience with project management in a development or transition context.
- Experience with institutional donors (MFA, EC, ECHO, etc.).
- Knowledge of and experience in drafting program descriptions and project reporting.
- Knowledge of rural livelihoods, resilience, disaster risk reduction, emergency responses, gender equality and inclusive governance.
- Experience in monitoring projects at distance.
- Affinity with financial project management.
- Excellent knowledge of English, working knowledge of French is required and Spanish is welcome.
- Willing to travel regularly.
- Affinity with our core competences: Respect, Reliability, Commitment and Quality.CARE has a zero tolerance toward sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse and takes seriously all concerns and complaints about sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse involving CARE Employees and Related Personnel.
- An interesting position where taking initiative is stimulated.
- One year contract with possible extension.
- A gross monthly salary based on BBRA scale 10 (EUR 2.833,02 – EUR 4.553,56), classification depends on relevant working experience.
- International informal work environment in which you work with colleagues from different backgrounds to achieve the goals of CARE Nederland.
- Open work culture characterized by an informal lunch group, weekly joint coffee moments and annual staff outings.
- Location in the bustling heart of The Hague
- For more information, please contact Merlijn van Waas (email@example.com), Head of Sustainable Development.
- We are looking forward to receiving your motivation (1 A4) and resume via the link mentioned below, before 26 November, 2019.
Please apply: https://cvselection.net/programme-officer
- An EU work permit is required
- We may contact applicants before the closing date
- For further information on CARE Nederland, visit our website: www.carenederland.org
- In case internal and external candidates have equal experience and qualifications, we will proceed with the internal candidate
Acquisition with regard to this advertisement is not appreciated.