Vacancy Programme Manager Central America
NIMD is a democracy assistance organization that supports political parties in developing democracies. Our approach is unique and characterized by interparty dialogue: we bring parties together and encourage them to cooperate on political issues. This is crucial to establishing the right environment for a country’s democratic development. We also help parties to strengthen their internal democracy and leadership, as well as their programming capacities. Currently, we run programmes in more than 20 countries in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
NIMD’s head office is located in the political heart of the Netherlands in The Hague. Here we have a strong and committed staff of around 35 people who support our global programming. Our culture is informal and open, and encourages initiative, professionalism and interaction. We strive to be the leading centre for political practitioners on inclusive and accountable politics.
NIMD Headquarters is looking for a
Programme Manager (Central America)
The Programme Manager (PM) will principally be responsible for managing and steering the Central American programme (El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras) and acts as the institutional focal point for this programme. The PM is responsible for the entire programme cycle and provides strategic advice to the Head of Programmes & Projects on relevant developments in Central America that might impact NIMD programming. Specific tasks include:
• Manages multiple country programmes and is responsible for the entire programme cycle, including developing (multi)annual plans, ensuring results measurement, and financial accountability and contract management of the local NIMD office.
• Analyzes the relevant political developments in Central America and works with the local office(s) to ensure that analysis informs the approach (Theory of Change) underpinning the country programme.
• Is the first point of contact for the local NIMD office(s) and regularly consults with its staff.
• Advises and supports the local NIMD office(s) to achieve NIMD objectives related to NIMD’s core approaches around interparty dialogue, , capacity of political actors, democratic values and behaviour, and women political empowerment.
Fundraising and representation
• Builds and maintains relationships and networks with relevant partner and donor organizations with the aim of securing funds for the Central America programme.
• Is responsible for preparing and submitting fundraising proposals in collaboration with relevant colleagues in the organization and manages donor contracts together with relevant NIMD staff.
• Represents and promotes NIMD and the Central America programme at external events
Managing (partner) relationships
• Maintains and builds good working relationships with the local NIMD offices in the region.
• Is the first point of contact for the local NIMD office and represents NIMD both in the Netherlands and in the programme country(ies).
• Maintains a network with Dutch political parties and other relevant strategic partners and ensures that they actively support the work of NIMD.
• Stimulates knowledge sharing and mutual learning within the NIMD global network
• Links knowledge needs from country programmes to the NIMD knowledge unit
• Facilitates learning and exchange to the benefit of both country programmes and NIMD The Hague
We are looking for a candidate who has a highly developed sense of political and intercultural relations, and is diplomatic and representative, efficient, stress-resistant and flexible. The candidate should have a thorough knowledge of democratic processes in developing countries and Central America in particular, know from experience how political parties function and know how to build and maintain networks. In addition, he/she should have excellent oral and written communication skills.
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
• Academic working and thinking
• A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in international organizations and/or developing countries in Latin America
• Demonstrable experience in managing programmes in an international context and experience working with political parties
• Excellent oral and written command of Dutch, Spanish and English
• Experience within a political party and/or possession of a network of Dutch political party experts for deployment in the programmes is an asset
Applicants must have a valid work permit for the European Union.
We offer a position for 38 hours at our office in The Hague. You will work under the Head of Programmes & Projects and in close collaboration with colleagues in Latin America Cluster. NIMD offers a competitive remuneration package. The salary corresponds to the Dutch Government salary framework (BBRA) scale 11 (€ 3.193 – € 4.906). In addition, NIMD offers a flexible and fun work environment with good secondary benefits.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and CV in English to email@example.com before November 24.
If you have questions, please call Karijn de Jong, Head of NIMD Programmes & Projects 0031 (0)70-311 54 64.
Principals only. Only replies by individual candidates for this job will be considered.