OXFAM IN MOZAMBIQUE
Internal Job Grade
|Contract type||Fixed term for 5 months till Dec 2019 with possibility of extension.|
|Reporting to||Area Manager, Matrix management with WASH Co|
|Staff reporting to this post||Sofala or Zambezia field based staffs (WASH, support staff)|
Sofala: Beira, Dondo Nhamatanda, Zambezia
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty
To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering.
To work with Programme team and Oxfam’s partners to design and oversee Oxfam program in Sofala or Zambezia Zone, WASH, EFSVL and protection.
To facilitate quality, gender-sensitive, accountable, and impact-focussed public health interventions in Sofala or Zambezia Zone through technical advisory, capacity building to staff and partners, system/model building on programming, . Oxfam is currently implementing both WASH and EFSVL programs (directly and through local implementing partner) as well protection program in Sofala or Zambezia Zone and therefore the position holder will be the overall responsible person for the implementation of the program and management of the base.
- Experienced in managing programmes through our local partner in Sofala or Zambezia
- Experience in managing and delivering heavy and complex wash programmes in challenging environments
- Strong capacity building skills for Oxfam and partner staff.
- Ability to manage Oxfam operational base supporting both program and support teams as well as local implementing partners.
- Make complex technical information accessible and usable by non-specialist.
- Create opportunities to develop work within a framework plan.
- Knowledge required includes broad understanding of and their relevance to own speciality.
- Short, medium and long term planning is required in the context of changing priorities and context.
- Information sources are diverse, ranging from academic research to data collection in programme and non-programme areas and often requires a judgement on credibility and accuracy of the information.
- Ensure that the Oxfam supported program in Sofala or Zambezia is able to match the changing needs
- Overall in-charge for Oxfam’s response to IDAI cyclone affected people in Sofala or Zambezia
- Support an effective monitoring system for programme in is in place and well operating for achieving the targets in relation to programme activities, budget allocations and financial expenditures;
- Support logistics and finance team to ensure timely delivery of supplies planned under all the projects;
- Undertake daily site visits to monitor the programme progress and provide strategic guidance and support;
- Represent Oxfam at Zonal level and actively participate in meetings/dialogues organized in Sofala or Zambezia;
Assessment and programme/activity design:
- Lead and or participate in rapid needs assessment in Oxfam’s targeted and potential new areas of emergency intervention as directed by the line manager
- Participate and where appropriate join in multi-sectoral assessment team and specific technical assessment/survey of a water/sanitation schemes.
- Assist team/partner in defining water and sanitation activities of any new emergency, in line with the rapid needs assessments and as per other relevant assessment.
Coordination and representation:
- Convene regular coordination meetings with WASH actors to discuss key issues, record key progress and report upwards
- Coordinate with the MEALteam to ensure key information management documents – including 4Ws, gap analyses, trackers and contingency stock lists are kept up to date by Oxfam and other WASH agencies on a regular basis
- Share good practice examples from Oxfam PH programmes at inter-sector coordination meetings and TWIG
- Implement PHE activities committed in WASH strategy and approved proposals, where necessary inform line managers if there need of revisions or change.
- Use PHE materials in Oxfam warehouse and in pipeline wisely and appropriately.
- To carryout selection, design and construction of most appropriate water systems, using ground and surface water options.
- Prepare BoQ, drawing for all PHE activities and requisition for contracting with clear budget and implementation plan.
- To assist in the selection, design and implementation of the most appropriate form of sanitation approach, in consultation with the beneficiaries, which includes excreta and refuse disposal, vector control and drainage. Methods may apply materials support in conjunction with social mobilisation and community participation or in partnership with a partner or CBOs.
- To liaise closely with the Public Health Promotion Team throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the Public Health Engineering Programme. Hygiene promotion is a vital element of such public health engineering programmes
- To promote the inclusion of cross cutting issues within programming, including gender & protection and community engagement.
Reporting and communication
- Document internal and external coordination meetings, or agreements with other stakeholders.
- Contribute to donor reporting, budgeting and new proposals when required
Staff management and Capacity building
- Manage staff reporting to the position and Objectively manage performance and conduct appraisal and capacity building both partners and Oxfam staff.
- Ensure that all designated WASH staff (Oxfam and partners) are aware of and abide with key internal and external protocols and principles (e.g. Red Cross Code of Conduct, People in Aid, Oxfam’s Code of Conduct ) and refugees key principals
Skills and Competence:
- Degree in Engineering fields (Civil, Water, Agriculture, Environmental or other relevant).
- At least 5 years of solid hand on experience of working in humanitarian programme having WASH focus and 2-3 years in senior managerial role in humanitarian / development programme preferably in IDP setting;
- Experience of donor contract management, including budget holder responsibilities;
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and budgeting of development and humanitarian projects;
- Demonstrated experience of managing multi-disciplinary team;
- Experience in coordinating and managing both direct operational and partner-based projects and institutional donor grant;
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and protection into emergency response programmes and longer-term strategies;
- A proven record of mentoring and capacity building of teams and partners
- Ability to work well under pressure and in respond to changing needs.
- Understanding of programming in areas of clan dominated cultural traditions
- Diplomacy, tact and negotiation skills;
- Excellent communication and cross-cultural management skills;
- Excellent command on English language, Portuguese is a plus
Other: This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
To apply for this position be sure to upload your resumé and profile before 27 August COB: