At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Media and Public Relations Officer, Europe is responsible for media outreach in Europe through pro-active and reactive work. He/she contributes to the Rainforest Alliance’s strategic objectives and impact by increasing our visibility, amplifying thought leadership, strengthening our position and securing endorsement through media relations. This role is in the Media Relations team within the Communications Department. Our Communications Department is an international team of over 20 mission-driven and fun professionals based mostly in Amsterdam and New York. Our recently merged organization provides considerable space for initiative, creativity and contribution to new strategies in this position.
- Plan and execute media outreach in Europe on Rainforest Alliance news, achievements and special events, with focus on key countries such as Germany and Netherlands. This means anticipating on and responding to PR opportunities in Europe, including ensuring that staff and media consultants have the information needed for effective media outreach;
- Draft and deliver pitches, media advisories and letters to the editor; messaging for interviews; write, edit and proofread press releases, opinion pieces etc.; build and maintain relations with relevant journalists;
- Respond to and field a high number of media inquiries, often on a short deadline, and follow-up, including acting as first point of contact for European media;
- Coordinate (written) interviews with the Rainforest Alliance representatives and deliver media trainings when needed;
- Position key Rainforest Alliance staff members as spokespeople and act as spokesperson for the organization if/when appropriate;
- Monitor mentions in the news, commenting if necessary; keep staff informed of how the organization is mentioned in the news; support with quarterly reporting;
- Give input on the global media strategy and ensure that media outreach in Europe supports the global media strategy, in close collaboration with the Media Relations Officers in other regions and the Senior Manager Media Relations;
- Manage PR agencies/consultants in Europe;
- Occasionally support the media outreach efforts of partners promoting the Rainforest Alliance, where appropriate;
- Support the Lead Organizational Risk & Reputation in managing reputational risks in Europe.
- Bachelor’s degree required; preferably in Public Relations, Communications, English or related field;
- At least 4 years’ experience in journalism or public information and media outreach, working with journalists across Europe under tight deadlines while maintaining high standard of work, and ideally also with PR agencies;
- Experience working in non-profits, social ventures, or similar;
- Track record placing stories in the media in English and in Dutch;
- Excellent writer and communicator; strategic, familiar with storytelling;
- Native or near-native written and spoken Dutch skills and near-native English skills;
- Knowledge of other languages, especially German, is a plus;
- Strong interest and some experience in social and environmental issues and sustainability;
- Strong computer skills and comfortable working with database programs and media monitoring software;
- Ability to work within a decentralised team as well as independently, be creative, take initiative, be attentive to detail and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
Commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please send your application (max. 1 page motivation, max 2 page resume) no later than 27 October 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning ‘Media and Public Relations Officer, Europe’ in the subject line. For questions about this position, please contact Niccolo Sarno at +31 (0)20 5308000 or email@example.com.
The position is based in Amsterdam and is open to applicants of all nationalities. However, only candidates authorized to work in the Netherlands will be considered. Starting date of the assignment is foreseen as soon as possible. The first round of interviews will take place on November 11 and 12. The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.