Free Press Unlimited strongly believes that all people are entitled to have access to unbiased, reliable and timely information. This enables them to assess their own living conditions, influence these and make the right decisions. Press freedom and freedom of information are vital for gathering and spreading reliable, unbiased information. Media play a crucial role in providing people free and unrestricted access to information that can help them develop and monitor the authorities. We want to make and keep objective news and information available to everyone, especially to people in countries without or with limited (press) freedom.
By supporting media professionals and journalists, we want to help people gain and keep access to the information they need to survive and develop.
We are currently looking for an experienced Lobby & Advocacy expert that will play a key role in coaching and assisting media partners in developing and executing a lobby & advocacy strategy.
The ideal candidate should have a proven track record as a lobby and advocacy expert within the fields of media freedoms, media protection and media normative frameworks; be able to lead the partner in the best suitable implementation of the strategy and to coach on the job in a results oriented fashion. That includes in transferring knowledge and tools for context analysis, network and normative/policy development management, risk analysis, evaluation and learning progress plans.
• Deliver consultations and training sessions in creating a communication and advocacy strategy
• Provide support with the creation of a lobby agenda
• Provide support in the execution of the lobby goals
• Identify tools and targets for public outreach
• Build and maintain relationship and trust with media partner and their advocacy team
• Advise on advocacy development roadmap for partner
• Assess learning progress results and transform in recommendations and strategic decision making lines
• Lead and facilitate collaborative relationships with diverse groups
• Minimum of five years relevant experience in strategic communications, advocacy, journalism or a related field
• Proven training and coaching experience on one or more of these subjects; human rights laws principles, stakeholders and power analysis, advocacy agenda planning, advocacy tools for campaigns and actions, campaigning
• Experienced at writing policy and advocacy content
• A relevant network that can support the execution of the goals
• Experience in mentoring and advising individuals and organisations
• Fluency in Arabic and English
• Knowledgeable on the Middle East and Arab media framework
• Excellent communication and facilitation skills
• Ability to monitor, evaluate, and recognize weaknesses and strengths of the teams
• Good communication and inter-cultural skills: able to effectively communicate with advocacy teams, other colleagues and supervisors.
• Strong self-motivation; driven by goals and resilience
• Driven ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple priorities
• Ability to travel to the Middle East (if needed)
A freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment with an NGOs fair salary based on local standards. Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Written applications consisting of a CV and a short motivation need to be submitted by e-mail (preferable in PDF format) before June 3, 2019 to vacanciesejsm[AT]freepressunlimited.org
A screening is part of the application process.