Founded in 2018, SustainCERT offers simple, tech-driven solutions for verifying impacts in climate protection, supply chains, and investment products. We are the official certification body for Gold Standard for the Global Goals, the most credible and robust standard for measuring, reporting and verifying climate and development impacts. In collaboration with Gold Standard Foundation, SustainCERT launched the Value Chain Certification solution late 2018 which has now become the benchmark framework for intervention level Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Scope 3 accounting in corporate agriculture value chains.
Reporting to SustainCERT’s Innovation Director, this role will oversee certification of land use and forestry carbon offset certification projects (Afforestation/Reforestation and Agriculture) and serve as the in-house land use technical expert, performing on-site audits for certain projects such as value chain sustainability reporting certifications. It is expected the role will be shared approximately 50/50 across these two complementary areas.
Primary Responsibilities and Tasks
- Act as a focal point for the project developers during the Gold Standard certification process
- Manage and maintain a team of independent reviewers certifying a growing pipeline of Gold Standard land use and forestry carbon offset projects audited by VVB’s
- Conduct Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA/QC) on the independent reviewer by ensuring that emissions removals are correctly calculated and that Gold Standard requirements are met.
Sustainability Reporting Certifications
- Review quantification approaches that account for GHGs in sequestration activities in projects (noting that approaches will generally follow common practice/established principles)
- Confirm if equations and approaches are technically acceptable (in line with cited limitations, assumptions and rationale).
- Assist in planning and conducting land use project GHG audit site visits
- Use common auditing techniques (observation, inquiry/surveys, analytical testing, measurement, cross checking etc) to gather evidence during an on-site visit in support of a final GHG audit
- Assist and lead on preparing validation and verification reports
- Five years experience in land use practice, ideally in the contest of certification (either as a project developer, auditor or standards setter)
- A higher degree in a land-use science related subject
- The ability to demonstrate technical knowledge of climate change, afforestation/reforestation, carbon accounting approaches in land use, monitoring report and verification (MRV) of land use projects, remote sensing and development issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Service-oriented and a strong team player
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English
- Expertise in PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel
- Proven working experience regarding organizational and time-management skills, accurate attention to detail; ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Experience in soil organic carbon
- 3 years plus experience as an GHG Land Use auditor
- ISO 14064 Auditor Training
- Salary will be commensurate with experience
- Benefits are provided
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications are due by November 22, 2019. Qualified applicants will be contacted directly. Please do not reach out to inquire about the status of your application.
Position is based in Amsterdam, New York or Boston.