PAX means peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned citizens worldwide, PAX works to build dignified and peaceful societies across the globe. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace.
Are you passionate about the Middle East, do you have good writing skills and do you want to contribute to programs and projects in which we work together with young and creative activists to build lasting connections between communities and authorities in different countries in the Middle East? Well…we’re looking for you then!
Our team is active in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Israel. Our work centers around supporting activists and organizations to create space for peaceful connections and relations, fostering relations between different communities and between communities and their authorities. We combine work with local activists with national and international lobby activities (on EU and UN level).
As per the 1st of April, PAX is looking to recruit an:
Intern/volunteer for our Middle East Team (Lebanon focus)
The new intern/volunteer will mainly be focused on our work in Lebanon but will be involved in different other tasks and projects as well. In Lebanon, our work centers around the creation and development of independent and free spaces for activism. Our work has different components: locally we work with young activists who are using creative ways for community building and activism (using culture and arts). Nationally and internationally, together with our partners, we advocate for human rights and human security in Lebanon and in EU – Lebanon cooperation.
As part of this internship, you will be writing a paper on the role arts and culture can play in strengthening and building community resilience in the Middle East.
- Writing and researching topics relevant to PAX’ work in the Middle East. More specifically: Arts and Culture for Resilience and Community Building in the Middle East;
- Contributing to PAX’ Lebanon related work in general;
- Writing blogs/articles on relevant subjects, reporting on PAX events, contributing to PAX’ profile on the Middle East;
- Organizational work to facilitate other programs if relevant and necessary.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is eager to find out things we don’t know yet: part of your job will be doing small (applied) researches on issues relevant to our work;
- Can take up tasks by her/himself;
- Works independently and autonomously;
- Is creative and interested in new forms of creative activism (incl. theatre, film, technology, etc.);
- Is a good writer (and likes to write): we are looking for someone who can support in different writing tasks like small articles and concept notes;
- Is highly proficient in spoken and written English. Dutch language skills are a plus (but is not a prerequisite) as are skills in other relevant languages;
- Is interested in international relations, specifically peace and security issues;
- Has affinity with the work and mission of PAX.
- A unique experience working within a politically oriented, dynamic peace organization in Utrecht, The Netherlands;
- Space to come up with and develop your own ideas;
- Appointment in consultation from the beginning of April 2019 for a 4-6 month period;
- A dynamic working environment and a nice team at the PAX office in Utrecht;
- Working hours in consultation, at least 3-4 days a week;
- Travel expenses and internship remuneration up to a maximum of € 170, – per month based on fulltime working hours;
- In addition to the internship experience, there is also room for personal development. Regular lunches are organized for volunteers/interns, and through meetings and other activities you can further explore the (international) peace work.
Procedure and information
For more information about our Middle East program, visit our webpage.
For further information on this function, please contact Pim Gerritsen: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your concise CV and cover letter addressed to Pieter Dronkers, only by using the application form on our jobs vacancy webpage. Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is 28 March 2019.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.