Oxfam Somalia is recruiting for a:
Head of Program (HoP)
Based in Hargesia, Somalia / Somaliland
Full time 40 hours a week
The Head of Program along with the team will be accountable for ensuring that programmes are designed and delivered according to the Oxfam Minimum Standards for Programming, program quality and accountability. To ensure that the correct programme information is collected timeously, reviewed regularly and used to inform decision making related to programme implementation, partnerships and program quality. The team is also accountable for ensuring that programme design, management, monitoring, review, evaluation, accountability and learning processes meet requirement for delivering Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS), Minimum Standards for Programming and CAMSA guidelines.
The Head of program along with the team will manage all partner relationships and be responsible for the timely, high quality programme delivery in line with donor compliances, while ensuring monitoring, accountability, evaluation and learning functions are well integrated. Primarily responsible for programme strategy and proposal development, the team will also act as a primary interface between Oxfam and its partners and beneficiaries, as well as with donors and other programme stakeholders including government. The Head of Programme advises SMT on programme risks derived through programme monitoring.
The Head of Programme (HoP) will be responsible for the long-term program management, program quality and accountability of the country programmes and for ensuring the Oxfam Somalia programme responds to current development trends related in Somalia. The HoP will have a direct line report to the Country Director and be a member of the Senior Management Team. The HoP will also develop a strong culture and practice of high quality program implementation, monitoring, evaluation, accountability, reporting, information and learning in the country to enhance programme quality and in so doing, the delivery and impact of the Oxfam Country Strategy.
Key Responsibilities and tasks
Strategic management and thought leadership
- Work with Senior Management Team (SMT) members to shape and embed the country vision and leadership on programme quality.
- Work with CMT to develop strong plans for improving country programme quality within in alignment with Oxfam Vision 2020.
- Under the leadership of the CD, leads programme strategy development and implementation of long term development goals of Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS) to achieve significant impact.
- To provide overall strategic and technical leadership in the design, development, planning, budgeting, and implementation of the OCS.
- Initiate, coordinate and lead Oxfam’s one program in Somalia ensuring it delivers on the OCS vision and objectives and championing the new ways of working embodied in the OCS with special focus on innovation, sustainability and impact.
- Ensures that Women’s rights are protected and promoted in all of Oxfam’s work in Somalia.
- Deputies for the Country Director as and when required.
- Participate in the annual budget process, leading on the program budget process, Country Operating Planning, and monitor program budgets as per standards.
- Develop and facilitate links with civil society (including non-implementing partners), the private sector, academic /knowledge institutions and governments, initiating contacts and building associations that can be used to enhance Oxfam’s work, and identifying key partners to collaborate with on the delivery of the programs.
- To play active role in lobby and advocacy on issues related to development programmes through personal contacts and co-ordination of allies.
- Participate in and contribute to the strengthening of Senior Management Team.
- Involve collaboration with other country/regional staff, departments (Policy, Appeals).
- Increase the profile of country program by proper documentation, representation and developing and sharing of various communications products.
- Demonstrate innovative approach is adopted in strategy implementation and design innovative programs by using latest technological options and disseminate the learning across.
- Provide thought leadership to the program for testing innovative models and program sustainability across development programs.
- Monitor and scan context with proper contextual and political economy analysis to guide program strategy and its impact.
Program development and delivery
- Ensures the delivery of a country program with demonstrable impact and is accountable for ensuring that the programme meets overall program quality and learning standards.
- Manages and is accountable for programme budget including responding to high level management and variance reports.
- Maintain active, supportive and coordinated communication with MEAL and Knowledge hub colleagues in the regions and globally.
- Oversees the development of program and project improvement plans, to ensure effective and timely implementation of the projects and program.
- Working with the MEAL Specialists, develop, implement and embed, a knowledge management system, that will ensure the sharing of knowledge across the program, other country programs, and the broader confederation.
- Working closely with the Funding Coordinator, identify opportunities for funding to ensure the financial sustainability of country programme of Oxfam in Somalia.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach, including work with coalitions and networks, adopting a strategic, proactive perspective on how to achieve partner led approaches to achieve sustainable change.
- Oversee the partner portfolio and Partner’s Capacity Building with specific reference to the identification of both implementing and strategic partners, and building and maintaining these relationships.
- Leads the development of country level programme reporting including donor reports– facilitating programme Managers and other team members contributions to reporting, consolidating programme reports and providing high level strategic analysis of programme impact.
- Directs and coordinates external program engagement.
- Ensure development of cost effective and realistic budgets and monitor programme.
- expenditure to ensure budgets are adhered to and programs and projects are implemented as per budget and on time.
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate financial controls for the programme.
- Plans and objectives contribute to broader program strategy and can involve collaboration with other departments.
- Ensure that the program is implemented in a consultative, participative, and transparent and gender sensitive way.
- Represent Oxfam in various forums in country to raise the profile of the organization and influence outcomes in line with country strategy.
- Pro-active local fundraising and maintenance of current donor and counterpart relations and with potential donors (both multilateral and bilateral donors) and ensure country strategy is properly funded.
- Ensure that Oxfam’s programs are in compliance with donor contractual obligations and that all reporting is of good quality and is done in a timely manner.
- Ensure Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning frameworks are developed for each program and implemented to achieve impact
- Ensure effective use of SAP and other internal system and take initiatives to improve learning and sharing of program experience (within the program and beyond), including cross program learning.
- Develop program policies and objectives; with input from policy adviser, in line with and supporting Oxfam International agreed lines and achieve advocacy results.
People development and management
- Leads human resources planning for the program team.
- Ensures that team members have access to staff development opportunities, identifies and addresses capacity gaps and provides ongoing counselling and support team members.
- Manage and support the Program Team to deliver on the OCS, providing leadership, inspiration and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures.
- With support from Human Resources Manager, manages the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, people’s development and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters among others.
- Develop and maintain a healthy environment for the team, coordinating timely discussions on strategic programming issues and supporting staff members reflect the institutional values and code of conduct in their relationships with partner organizations and key stakeholders.
- Draft own and team objectives and agree with line manager, and to ensure that objectives contribute to country, regional team goals and Divisional strategy.
Requirements – you have:
- Good managerial skills to co-ordinate the Somalia program team to deliver on the OCS objectives.
- Ability to coach on the building of strong, credible relationships with international and local NGOs, government associations, business leaders and communities.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills. Able to use different approaches to achieve followership.
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills; able to understand complex issues and translate them into simple, workable actions and plans
- Ability to think strategically, work creatively, effectively and in an innovative manner.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and those of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work in Somalia.
- Proven analytical and conceptual thinking, high level research, project management knowledge and skills and experience using participatory tools and methodologies for assessment, programme identification, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of development programs and advocacy and campaigning.
- Strong understanding of Somalia Country context including security and governance environment across the country.
- Demonstrated capacity to deliver rights based, innovative and youth and women empowerment programming.
- Knowledge of capacity building, learning and development activities and how to create a learning and sharing environment with a strong knowledge management basis.
- Commitment to and knowledge of creating a partner-led operational environment, with an ability to create an internal Oxfam approach that is focused on developing and supporting partner organizations to achieve direct impact and results relating to Oxfam’s objectives.
- Knowledge of, and experience in working with donors.
- Politically astute, with high impact influencing and persuasive skills and personal gravitas to gain respect and build and maintain strong, credible relationships, with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Extensive management experience at a senior management level in a national or international organization.
- Influencing experience and ability to develop organizational networks and associations.
- Flexibility in terms of travel and working hours is a requirement of this role with the possibility of working away from the office as and when desired.
Requirements – desirable:
Language, English and local Somali language.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 710 with a salary range between € 3.368,= and € 5.183,= gross.
How to apply
If you are interested please use the ‘apply’ button. Your application must be received by February 28th, 2019 at the latest. Please note that only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
!Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
!! Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated.