Hivos Global Office Open Societies Department seeks qualified candidates for the position of
Financial Officer DDP & SCL
Office: Global Office, The Hague
Number of hours: 36 hours per week
Deadline: February 22, 2019
Do you have financial management and business administration experience? Do you have good analytical and communication skills? Do you like to work in a diverse and international work environment? Do you like to do financial management in challenging environments, and do you like to travel abroad? The The Digital Defenders Partnership (DDP) and the Stop Child Labour (SCL) teams would love to have you as a colleague.
The Digital Defenders Partnership was initiated in late 2012 by the Freedom Online Coalition to advance Internet freedom and to keep the internet open and free from emerging threats, specifically in internet repressive and transitional environments. The program is funded until 2020 by eight governments and is in the process of creating a new strategy. The program team consists of a Project Manager, five Project Officers (one vacant), six Digital Integrity Fellows, a Financial Officer, and an Admin Officer.
“Stop Child Labour – School is the best place to work” (SCL) is a coalition coordinated by Hivos and executed with Dutch coalition members. SCL collaborates with local partner organizations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. SCL aims to eliminate all forms of child labor and to ensure quality fulltime education for all children until the age of 15.
For our global programs, Hivos is seeking a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy of Financial Officer. The position is for 36 hours per week.
As a Financial Officer (FO), you are responsible for the financial overview of Hivos programs, including:
- drafting budgets and budget narratives in cooperation with the project teams; working with multi-donor budgets across fiscal years and currencies
- sparring with the Program Manager (PM) on financial matters and procedures and providing input
- providing clear financial management information to the Project Team
- supervising and working closely with financial staff in Hivos’ regional offices
- checking budgets and narrative budgets submitted by these offices
- applying the Hivos risk-based grant management procedures to assess the financial capacity of partner organizations
- ensuring that Hivos risk-based grant management procedures are well implemented
- preparing financial reports for external auditors and donors, and coordinating project audits from start to finish
- ensuring that all relevant financial data are correctly entered into the project administration system in compliance with Tax (VAT) legislation
- thoroughly understanding and ensuring compliance with donor guidelines and requirements
- assessing and monitoring financial statements and reports of partner organizations, including the eligibility of supporting documents
- preparing audit files for the DDP and SCL projects, in communication and cooperation with the external accountant
- communicating directly with financial staff in Hivos offices, partner organizations and donors
We are looking for a Financial Officer who can work under pressure and is well organized, independent, critical, proactive, thorough, consistent, and who has:
- a BA university-level education, preferably in financial management and business accounting
- five to seven years’ relevant work experience, experience with institutional and private donors, expertise in project accounting, bookkeeping, budgeting, financial reporting and project control
- advanced proficiency in Excel to create spreadsheets including financial and mathematical functions
- good analytical and problem solving skills
- a critical and proactive attitude
- experience handling sensitive information or working in closed environments
- good communication and social interaction skills in English, both written and verbal
What we offer
We offer a stimulating work environment in a professional international organization with very dedicated staff. Travel to regional Hivos offices is included. Employment is offered as soon as possible for the period of one year with a probation period of 1 month. The salary will be determined by your experience in salary scale 10 with a minimum of € 3003,09 ,- and a maximum of € 4069,85 ,- gross per month, based on a 36-hour work week. Travel costs are compensated in accordance with Hivos Regulations. We offer participation in the pension fund.
Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Want to know more?
For more information, please contact Frerieke van Bree, Programme Manager DDP, at email@example.com or +3170 376 5500
Want to apply?
You can apply before February 22, 2019.
Both a letter of motivation and resume need to be submitted in English to Hivos via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference code 300-32 in the subject line.
After the First Round, the selected candidates may be required to undergo a further assessment by the team and/or take a financial skills test.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.