The Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) is a democracy assistance organization that supports political parties in developing democracies. Our approach is unique and characterized by interparty dialogue: we bring parties together and encourage them to cooperate on political issues. This is crucial to establish the right environment for a country’s democratic development. Furthermore, we help parties to strengthen their internal democracy and leadership, as well as their programming capacities. Currently, we run programmes in more than 20 countries in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
The headquarters of NIMD’s is located in the political heart of the Netherlands in The Hague. Here we have a strong and committed staff of around 30 people who support our global programming. Our culture is informal and open, and encourages initiative, professionalism and interaction. We strive to be the leading centre for political practitioners on inclusive and accountable politics.
The Programme Manager (PM) will principally be responsible for managing and steering the Ethiopia programme and acts as the institutional focal point for this programme. The PM will furthermore lead on possible expansion of the NIMD portfolio in the Horn of Africa. The PM is responsible for the entire programme cycle and provides strategic advice to the Head of Programmes & Projects on relevant developments in the Horn of Africa that might impact NIMD programming. Specific tasks include
- Manages multiple country programmes and is responsible for the entire programme cycle, including developing (multi)annual plans, ensuring results measurement and financial accountability and contract management of the local NIMD office.
- Analyzes the relevant political developments in the Horn of Africa and works with the partner organization to ensure that analysis informs the approach (Theory of Change) underpinning the country programme.
- Is the first point of contact for the local NIMD office and regularly consults with staff.
- Advises and supports the local NIMD office to promote interparty dialogue and organizational and programmatic capacity development of political parties
- Builds and maintains relationships and networks with relevant partner and donor organizations with the aim to secure funds for the Ethiopia programme.
- Is responsible for preparing and submitting fundraising proposals in collaboration with relevant colleagues in the organization and manages donor contracts together with relevant NIMD staff.
Managing (partner) relationships
- Maintains good working relationships with the local NIMD office in Addis Abeba.
- Is the first point of contact for the local NIMD office and represents NIMD both in the Netherlands and in the programme country(ies).
- Maintains a network with Dutch political parties and other relevant strategic partners and ensures that they actively support the work of NIMD.
We are looking for a candidate that has a highly developed sense of political and intercultural relations, is diplomatic and representative, efficient, stress-resistant and flexible. Has a thorough knowledge of democratic processes in developing countries and the Horn of Africa in particular, knows from experience how political parties function and knows how to build and maintain networks. In addition, he/she has excellent oral and written communication skills
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Academic working and thinking.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in international organizations and/or developing countries in Africa.
- Demonstrable experience in managing programmes in an international context and experience working with political parties.
- Excellent oral and written command of Dutch and English.
- Experience within a political party and/or possession of a network of Dutch political party experts for deployment in the programmes is an asset.
Applicants must be Dutch nationals, residents of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
We offer a position for 38 hours at our office in The Hague. You will work under the Head of Programmes & Projects and in close collaboration with colleagues in the Africa Cluster. NIMD offers a competitive remuneration package. The salary corresponds to the Dutch Government salary framework (BBRA) scale 11 (€ 3.193 – € 4.906). In addition, NIMD offers a flexible and fun work environment with good secondary benefits.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume in English to email@example.com before 23 August 2019.
If you have questions, you can call Harrie Dijkstra, Head of Finance and Support 070-3115464. More information on NIMD: www.nimd.org