We are currently looking for a:
COMMUNICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Location The Hague, 32-36 HOURS
Oxfam Novib’s Sowing Diversity=Harvesting Security, or seeds program works to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and indigenous peoples through the enhanced management of seeds. The program works with an integrated approach on topics of (1) farmers’ crop diversity management (Farmer Field Schools), (2) markets and livelihoods (Farmer Seed Enterprises), (3) neglected and underutilized species as alternative food intake to improve food and nutrition security and (4) an enabling policy environment that supports farmers’ seed systems.
As Communications and Learning Specialist, you will advise the team on how to strategically position the program and its stakeholders (including smallholder farmers and indigenous peoples) towards policy makers, related research institutes, private sector, potential and existing donors and public audiences. SD=HS values that communications are not centralized and sending, but interactive and amplifying (rather than representing) smallholder farmers and indigenous peoples. SD=HS aims to provide the opportunity for every stakeholder to participate in the process of creating and sharing knowledge. SD=HS has a strong track record in communications when it comes to published research, training materials, videos, photography and exhibitions and is widely recognized among stakeholders.
Currently, SD=HS is looking for someone that can lead the team in keeping up and innovating this track record and creating an even wider recognition and take-up of the program, its lessons, capacity-building approaches and results
Purpose of the function
The main purpose of the function is to coordinate with the global SD=HS team, Oxfam country offices and national partners to further develop the program’s approach to communications, knowledge creation and knowledge products, including the development of a cutting-edge strategy for the coming four to six years and the design of innovative and appropriate products for the different audience groups.
You will be a program specialist in learning, branding, reputation and communications, but always related to the overall Oxfam (Novib) communications and learning strategies. As specialist, you are seen by relevant internal and external stakeholders as the one to turn to when a brand/reputation/communications strategy for your stakeholders needs to be designed and implemented. You closely collaborate with the program’s monitoring, evaluation and learning specialist.
Main tasks of the function
• Development of communications and knowledge management strategy, rooted in the previous five years of communications outreach and based on consultations with the program specialists from the global team, the program MEAL officer, the Oxfam country teams and the national partners.
• Implementation of the strategy, including the (co-)production of communication, training and knowledge products, means and activities.
• Support the development of a learning agenda and (participatory) knowledge management processes and tools.
• Support the development of presentations, publications and other communication materials for team members, as well as the organization of public events.
• Develop and update a communications and learning kit for participants in the project.
• Outsource production to the communications pool: brief external parties, coordinate processes, monitor quality.
• Provide support and advise to Oxfam country teams and national partners on their communication strategies with regard to the SD=HS program.
• Work closely together with the MEAL officer on the strategic use and dissemination of program insights.
• Monitor and research brand and reputation for the program’s specific audiences and markets and convert the outcomes to the communication activities.
• Design and give presentations about best practices in order to show the added value and support other teams in Oxfam with SD=HS communications products.
• At least bachelor (HBO) degree in communications or other relevant field of education.
• Three years of experience with brand and reputation management and communications in a complex and/or international organization.
• Experience in education and/or (local) learning.
• Up-to-date knowledge of online and offline, internal and external communications (strategies and tools).
• Strong facilitation skills such as workshops and planning sessions.
• Production skills (e.g. photo and video editing, web development) are an advantage.
• Demonstrable affinity with topics of food and nutrition security, climate change and agriculture.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, work under pressure and deadlines. Willingness to occasionally work on irregular hours if needed.
• Willingness to travel for periods of one or two weeks.
• Ability to communicate and influence effectively with teams and individuals.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English (Spanish is an advantage)
• Commitment to Oxfam’s overall goals and values, including a strong commitment to gender, diversity, inclusion, capacity building and rights based approaches.
Furthermore, you are result orientated, co-operative, an excellent planner and organizer, customer oriented, creative and signalling opportunities and daring to take responsible risks
What we offer
• A challenging, diverse assignment with plenty of learning and responsibility.
• An inspiring team that has vast experience on multiple aspects in the field of plant genetic resources and farmer seed systems.
• A network of partners and colleagues in Latin America, Africa and Asia
• Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The position is classified in scale 9. The gross salary range is between € 2.782,- and € 4.280,- on the basis of 36 hours per week.
Are you interested? Please submit your application via the ‘apply’ button and include your motivation letter and CV. Your application must be received by September 27, 2019 at the latest.
Applicants must be Nationals of an European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union. Oxfam Novib is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates (m/f/o) from a diverse background
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position.