Communication officer needed to promote the European campaign ‘Debate changes your live’ .
IDEA, the International Debate Education Association based in Utrecht offers a fantastic opportunity for communicaton officers. Do you like to implement the campaign ‘Debate changes your life”? Do you like to work in an international network? Do you like to promote democracy and debate education for young people in Europe so that they are empowered to speak and to be heard in Europe? And are you super enthousiastic and skillful at the one hand to implement our campaign at European level and at the other hand to coach European partners in 14 countries to implement the campaign at local and national level? Read more about our search for a competent communication officer who will complement our team in Utrecht.
IDEA is cofunded in this project by the operational grant Europe for Citizens.
- You will work with an international team for an international network of organizations that have over 20 years’ experience in democracy education, in particular with debate education;
- You will collaborate with the Executive Director of IDEA, staff of IDEA and capacity building staff in Slovak Debate Association;
- You will coordinate the Communications strategy and activities of a network consisting of 18 organizations all around Europe and three outside Europe;
- You will work with some of the most relevant associations in Europe activating in deliberative education (for instance only in Romania the association works with over 250 schools and impact more than 30.000 beneficiaries);
- You will benefit from professional development opportunities and access to a network of professionals who activate in the educational area (at national and international level)
- You will build further on existing strategies and products to boost the communication of IDEA
- You will be hired in the context of the Operational Grant of Europe for Citizens
Your Main Responsibilities:
- Upgrading and implementing the general communication strategy for the network that can be adapted and applied locally by each of IDEA NL’s members on the following pillars:
- Upgrading and implementing the plan to stimulate the development, implementation and promotion of the network’s identity internally (throughout the network) and externally (to the respective audiences);
- Upgrading and implementing the developed communications’ campaign to celebrate 20 years of debate education in the network (mainly Central and Eastern European countries)
- Developing communication products in the context of this campaign to promote debate education across Europe such as online newsletters, a policy paper, video’s and a final panel debate in Brussels
- Co-organizing a capacity building workshop on communication and campaigning for IDEA members
We expect you to:
- Be ambitious, energetic, determined and to be driven to make a difference;
- Have professional experience in interpersonal relating (networking, team coordination, public speaking);
- Have strong writing and speaking skills
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ communication and public relations experience (preferably for non-profit organizations);
- Having experience in promotion of democracy or debate education is a pré.
- Be knowledgeable with basic software and online platform management is a pré (Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point; Adobe Suite: Photohop/Illustrator/InDesign; Online platforms: Facebook insights, Youtube insights, Google Analytics, WordPress);
- Have at least advanced English skills (spoken and written) – you will work in an international environment 90% of the time;
- Have the ability to prioritize tasks and respect deadlines;
- Have impeccable work ethics (coming to work on time, letting the team mates know when/if you are late, not wasting time on Facebook etc.). We are a relaxed and easy-going team, but we like to work in a very professional and purpose oriented way.
International Debate Education Association is an association of 20 network debate organisations across Europe and outside Europe. It is established in 1999 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. We educate people in debate in order to give young people a voice for their ideas, as we believe that debating empowers them in their necessary skills, and it provides a platform for them to speak up and be heard in a safe and structured environment. We aspire to be the world’s leading provider of debate education, offering debate resources, debate training and debate events to educators, youth groups and young people across the world. See www.idebate.org or nl.idebate.org.
The employee (part-time) contract runs preferable as soon as possible from May – December 31, 2019
NOTE: The successful candidate will be hired as staff in IDEA. IDEA is willing and experienced to work with staff abroad provided that it is allowed in your country to be hired by a Dutch NGO. The function is in the context of a Europe For Citizens project, in which there is a budget for total employer cost of 11.000 euro for this function.
The application deadline will be closed at Tuesday April 23, 2019 Please send a motivation letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Check the full application on the website of IDEA NL nl.idebate.nl
For more information you can contact the Executive Director Yvonne Heselmans via email@example.com