RNW Media is an international NGO that builds digital communities for social change. We use online media to engage young people (15-30 years old) on sensitive and often-taboo subjects – from love, sex and relationships to civic participation. Through our platforms, young people get comprehensive science- and rights-based information and a safe space to focus on their aspirations and engage in constructive dialogue about what really matters to them.
RNW Media is looking for a:
In a challenging, international and dynamic environment
Vacancy number: 19-038
As an Advocacy Officer, you work in a fast-changing and international environment. You contribute to RNW Media’s strategic objectives and strengthen our position within civil society, public and private sector. You are pragmatic, pro-active, impact-driven and open minded.
Positioning in the organisation
The Advocacy officer is a new position within the Communications & Stakeholders team. You will report to the Communications & Stakeholders Manager. You work closely with the Press officer, Public Affairs Officer, Country teams and the Data & Digital team.
What you will be doing
As an Advocacy Officer you are, among other things, responsible for:
- Developing and implementing RNW Media’s Advocacy strategy;
- Leading international advocacy on digital rights;
- Helping secure and maintain RNW Media’s position in the international development sector;
- Participating in and/or initiating international partnerships/platforms on digital rights;
- Writing issue and policy briefs on different policy themes; and
- Liaising with external stakeholders, such as government, relevant networks and influential policy makers to contribute to RNW Media’s strategic objectives.
What you need to have
Your pro-active way of working, by means of which you are a real team player, makes you a truly valued colleague. Besides this, you have a hands-on mentality, are persuasive and diplomatic and have excellent communications skills.
You also have:
- Preferably a Masters’ degree in a relevant field;
- At least 5 years’ experience in advocacy;
- Fluency in English, writing and presenting. French, Chinese and/or Arabic is an advantage; and
- A strong advocacy network.
What do we offer?
Working at RNW Media is much more than a job. In addition to a competitive salary and benefits, you support young people to drive social change. You also become part of a young and multi-cultural team of professionals representing several countries, working both in Hilversum and in our focus countries. We have an informal and flexible work structure that emphasises wellbeing as much as it does quality work. You also get to work in an office with a great green space right up against a national forest. The Hilversum Media Park train station is less than a 15-minute walk. We offer a one-year contract based on 32 hours per week. The position has a competitive compensation & benefits package aligned with the sector.
How to apply?
You can express your interest in this position by completing the application form on our website before the 15th of August. Only applicants with a valid residence and work permit for the Netherlands will be considered. If we appoint a suitable candidate before closing date, we reserve the right to remove the vacancy from our website before that date. In such a case, any responses received after that time are not processed. It could be that during our selection process the closing date for the vacancy is extended. If so, and if you have not yet heard from us, your application remains active.
Acquisition is not appreciated.