The Beyond Beans Foundation is the implementation partner of international commodities trader ETG for sustainability programmes in cocoa, coffee, and cashew. We are currently working with 70,000 farmers from ETG’s supply chains across West and East Africa and Latin America, developing programmes with and for industrial clients. In close cooperation with our sustainability teams in origin countries, commodity suppliers and programme partners, we support farmers to improve their farming practices towards a living income, help communities to tackle child labour, strive to empower women, support income diversification, and protect the natural environment with agroforestry and conservation efforts.
Beyond Beans is based out of the Netherlands and our core programmes and activities are implemented through subsidiary foundations in Ivory Coast, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Uganda, Togo and Ecuador. The Foundation’s rapidly expanding 100+ FTE operational team consists of a multidisciplinary team of managers and field staff with experience in a wide range of topics, from tackling child labour to climate-smart agroforestry and promoting gender equity.
Beyond Beans Foundation is a frontrunner in Agroforestry and Reforestation projects in West Africa, which we implement alongside our partner cooperatives and their farmers. Within the industry, there is an increased interest in and demand for carbon (insetting) projects within supply chains, and this is also the case for our large industrial clients. Beyond Beans is therefore developing innovative project proposals in order to identify ways to offset carbon within our farmer base.
Your job as Programme Manager Environment & Carbon is to oversee all our Agroforestry and Reforestation programmes, together with your programme and project managers team. In particular, you will be taking the lead in driving our Carbon Agenda, and steering innovation, project development and execution, with the goal of expanding our reach and impact with carbon projects in cocoa, coffee, and cashew.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for execution of environmental targets in several of our origin countries, reporting to industrial clients and institutional donors on their projects.
- Develop and implement the roadmap for carbon projects and discuss with large chocolate makers and coffee roasters on the implementation of carbon (insetting) projects in the ETG supply chain.
- Lead the team & oversee the budget for the activities.
- Support the local project managers with activity planning and budgets for field implementation.
- Report to the Global Programme Manager on project indicators and realized budgets.
- Represent Beyond Beans towards sector partner(ships) such as CFI, WCF, IDH, WRA, Rainforest Alliance etc.
- Find and develop new partnerships and innovations, such as deforestation satellite monitoring, composting and biochar etc.
You will be working in our dynamic sustainability team that is spread over the Netherlands (Amstelveen), West & East Africa and Latin America. You will be based in our HQ in Amstelveen, reporting to the Global Programme Manager and closely working with the Programme Manager Community Development, M&E Manager and others in our 15+ staff team in The Netherlands. You will manage the Junior Programme Manager CFI in the Netherlands as well as our local project managers for CFI in Ivory Coast, Ghana and Nigeria, and later Cameroon and others. Internationally, you will also work in close collaboration other staff in the origin country teams.
QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- An academic degree in agriculture, forestry, environmental management or other related fields.
- At least 5 years experience in programme management and 2 years in managing an expert team.
- Extensive knowledge and a network in carbon insetting and carbon certification schemes.
- Being a fast-growing company, we are looking for an efficient self-starter who can set priorities.
- Ability to think innovatively and focus on continuous improvement of our activities.
- Strong capabilities in working with large datasets and budgets
- Excellent networking, communication and presentation skills.
- Passionate, with a healthy level of ambition and drive to take initiative.
- Fluent in English; French is appreciated.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
You will be part of a fast-growing organisation and broad network with excellent future career opportunities. We offer a competitive salary of 48 – 53k (based on experience) and many other benefits, as well as substantial freedom in your work, engagement in a broad range of sustainability topics, and personal development opportunities.
You will learn about the newest tools and programmes to bring a positive change to farmer’s livelihoods and the environment. Work status 40 hours per week. Based in Amstelveen, the Netherlands with regular travels to the field (up to 1 week per month).
Please send your motivation letter and CV to email@example.com latest Friday December 10th.