Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Job type: Full time (36-40 hours per week)
Salary: Indicative gross salary between € 2.910 and € 3.796 per month
Comment: Inclusive of pension, health insurance, holiday allowance and national insurance contributions
Aflatoun International is a non-profit organisation, which offers social, financial & entrepreneurhip education to children and young people worldwide, empowering them to make a positive change for a more equitable world. Aflatoun creates high-quality curricula, for different age groups, which are contextualised to local needs and specific circumstances, and are implemented by over 300 partner organisations in 101 countries, reaching over 10 million children annually.
Aflatoun programmes inspire children to discover their talents and put them to use, to stand up for their rights and those of their communities, to play games and to solve problems. They learn how to save, how to budget and how to set up social and financial enterprises that benefit themselves, their families and their neighbourhoods.
Aflatoun has been recognised globally (Brookings, Harvard, HundrEd, Million Lives Club) for its high-impact, low-cost model, which has demonstrated to be effective in changing behaviors of its participants across the globe. By using a social franchise model, Aflatoun transfers curricular content, monitoring and evaluation tools, and training capacity to partner organizations, helping them to enhance their existing expertise and to create an efficient learning ecosystem. Aflatoun’s programmes follow an active-learning, participant-centered methodology, which combines social and financial education (SFE) to transform the lives of their participants, educators, government institutions and civil society organizations.
Research, Monitoring & Evaluation
The Monitoring and Evaluation manager is accountable for the accomplishment of the following priority areas through undertaking programme monitoring and evaluation, research, providing guidance, coordination and leadership in the oversight of the implementation of M&E activities, as well as in the collaboration with strategic partners:
- Tool development & training – Develop tools & build and strengthen technical capacity in the use and implementation of M&E methodologies for the Aflatoun Secretariat and the partner network.
- Primary Research – Studies and Evaluations – Conduct research studies for organizational learning and international advocacy.
- Compilation of Strategic Information – Consolidate a pool of SFE key evidence to promote the use of knowledge-based evidence across the different areas of the organization.
- Dissemination – Position Aflatoun as thought leader through dissemination of evidence-based knowledge (internal and external).
- Internal support and capacity building and project management – Support development of fundraising proposals & manage research projects.
- M&E of Aflatoun’s Strategy and Annual Work Plan – Effective M&E of Aflatoun’s objectives: Consolidate and systematise the departmental objectives to ensure alignment and achievement of the organisation’s strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the full portfolio of research, monitoring & evaluation, oversee all departments budgets, and supervise a team (staff and consultants) of researchers, M&E managers and consultants;
- Develop and maintain Aflatoun’s M&E tools, studies, including review and improvement of existing M&E products and development of new / adapted M&E tools tailored for specific purposes, including distance learning;
- Develop funding proposals for research projects and contribute to proposals which include an M&E component;
- Project-manage donor-funded research projects and coordinate M&E components of implementation projects;
- Engage with external parties in the sector representing Aflatoun as a specialist in our field.
Non-technical responsibilities as Aflatoun staff
- Positively contribute to team discussions and the effective running of the organization;
- Cross-departmental collaboration, compliance with organizational policies and procedures including submitting monthly timesheets;
- Keep relevant sections of the website up to date and contribute to organizational communications materials in relation to curriculum development;
- Maintain contacts’ details and key communications in the organization’s relationship management system, Salesforce;
- Promote Aflatoun’s work on social media;
- Perform other duties and tasks, consistent with the skills and expertise, as required in non-routine circumstances;
- Be willing to adapt to different tasks and different cross-organizational tasks, this includes but is not limited to helping deliver Aflatoun events such as the International Conferences and staff retreats.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Advanced university degree in social sciences or other relevant disciplines. Practical training in programme management and evaluation, survey and research analysis, or applied statistical data analysis in social sciences an asset.
- Experience using data analysis software (SPSS, STATA, R, NVivo, …) .
- Experience conducting RCTs and qualitative research in the field.
- Demonstrated skills in strategic and project planning, and strong organizational skills.
- Proven track record in delivering results.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in English. Additional language(s) (Arabic, French, Russian, Spanish) is an advantage.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to work under pressure; flexibility.
- Understanding and willingness to conduct work and demonstrate behaviors in line with Aflatoun International’s values and policies.
- Proven ability in collaborating closely with multilevel stakeholders; experience in managing projects implemented in consortia will be considered an advantage.
- Previous employment with or knowledge of International Organizations (IOs), NGOs; experience working with IOs/NGOs in a similar position is a plus.
- Familiarity with international donors’ regulations and policies, as well as significant experience interacting with donor agencies is important.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Capacity to work well under pressure, and the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively cross-culturally is critical.
Management may appoint at a lower step based on the candidate’s skills and experiences against the position’s requirements
The position is for a full-time workweek (40 hours). We offer a dynamic and pleasant multicultural working environment, with an indicative gross monthly salary range of € 2.910 and € 3.796 (inclusive of pension, health insurance, holiday allowance, and national insurance contributions) – the salary level awarded will depend on relevant work experience and educational background. Due to the nature of Aflatoun’s work with children around the world, specific attention is drawn towards Aflatoun’s Child Protection Policy and its Policy on the Protection of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA). These two policies are required to be signed by new employees and forms part of the employment documents related to the employment contract. The applicant commits to zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse. An additional written test may be required.
Please apply online at https://aflatoun.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=61 no later than 9 May 2021. If you have any specific questions on the position please contact the HR Officer Chitra at email@example.com.
A valid work permit and/or European passport is required in order to be considered for the position