MSF is an international, independent medical humanitarian organisation. We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. We are a non-profit, self-governed, member-based organisation. MSF was founded in 1971 in Paris by a group of journalists and doctors. Today, we are a worldwide movement of more than 67,000 people.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in UK and Germany and also branch offices in India and Ireland. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian projects in about 25 countries.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 400 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations. Around 50 staff focus on recruitment, communication and fundraising in The Netherlands (MSF-Holland) and 350 staff are focused on supporting MSF-OCA operations.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, and ability status and all other diversity characteristics.
As of 1 November 2020, MSF-Holland has a vacancy for the position of
Senior HR Advisor Office (100%)
based in Amsterdam
The Senior HR Advisor position is a generalist HR position. As Sr. HR Advisor you advise specific departments of the company (e.g. Operations, Logistics) and you work with dynamic and well-performing leaders. You help them to attract, engage and grow people within their teams. And support employee-related activities and changes at the organisational level, such as the development of a continuous improvement culture, the alignment of culture, people, processes, systems and results. You report to the Deputy Head of HR Services.
Strategy & implementation
- Sparring partner of managers in translating MSF’s strategic plan into a clear HR strategy for the focus area, defining the people agenda;
- Advising the Deputy Head HR Service from a strategic point of view and translating (external) developments into HR policy with regard to important themes for the organisation and HR;
- Participate in strategic departmental consultations;
- Contribute to the cooperation within HR and further strategic positioning of HR in the organisation.
- Building strong relationships at all levels within the organization with colleagues, respecting diversity;
- Building mutual rewarding relations with fellow HR Advisors in which best practices are shared, support is given, competencies are further developed and where professionalisation of the HR Advisor role is promoted.
- Proactive contact with the leaders / managers about their personal development and wellbeing within MSF, and advising them about their teams including absenteeism management, employee exits, but also the management of other support procedures (such as secondments /second track processes);
- Management support around the entire (annual) performance management cycle, including performance as a performance coach, but also process management and taking possible follow-up actions (coaching, development management);
- Organizational development / change facilitator: supporting the focus area in identifying structural challenges and facilitating change initiatives;
- Supports HR Office colleagues on exceptional and non-standard HR issues.
- Leadership on various development projects and HR Improvement projects, new policies on various themes such as diversity and inclusion, succession planning, empowerment, performance management and other strategic areas;
- Ensure that the HR activities of MSF comply with local laws and regulations within the various countries and the applicable policies;
- Prepares the HR calendar together with Deputy Head HR Services, gives input for the agenda of the MT and the extended MT and plays an important role in its implementation.
- A degree in HR management and at least 3 years’ experience in HR at a senior level.
- In-depth knowledge of HR best practices together with working knowledge of HR systems and databases.
- In depth knowledge of Dutch Labour Law and HR best practices
- Demonstrable networking skills, a warm and inspiring personality with a proven track record of building relationships across all levels and teams in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
- You are people oriented, results driven with excellent communication skills that enable you to disseminate complex information and adapt it to your target audience.
- You are authentic, solution-oriented and a creative thinker with a ‘can do’ mentality. And you are dynamic and used to working in a fast paced and demanding environment.
- Committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees.
- With excellent communication skills (including written and spoken Dutch and English).
- Strategic thinking
- Teamwork & Cooperation
- Problem Analysis & Solving
- Communication, both written and oral
- Contributing to a beautiful social mission in a stimulating, professional working environment in an international organization.
- A Dutch employment contract from 1 November 2020, based on 40 hours per week. The contract is for one year with renewal option.
- A gross monthly salary of a minimum of € 3,360 and a maximum of € 4,798 for a full-time appointment based on relevant work experience;
- Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium free pension.
Information & application
For more information about the recruitment process and MSF in general please contact recruiter Marleen Boers at Amsterdam.firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the position, please contact Nelleke Steverink (Deputy Head of HR Services) at Nelleke.Steverink@amsterdam.msf.org.
The closing date for applications is 24 August 2020.
Selection will be by means of two interviewing rounds. The first round will take place in the week of 7 Sep 2020, the second in the week of 14 Sep 2020. A test/case and an assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
If you recognize yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae as one combined document (in English).