Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. We won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 21 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian and development programming and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Oxfam Novib is looking for a
Senior Finance Specialist
Job Grade: 709
Working Hours: 1.0 FTE
The Senior Finance Specialist will be part of the Project Management Support expertise (ProMt) unit and seconded on a full time basis to the The Power of Voices FAIR for ALL program. The ProMt unit provides project related financial and administrative support to the Programs and Engagement Departments and non-project related financial and administrative support to all units and departments. It is the owner of a number of key policies and processes that relate to the operational, financial, and administrative management of projects from the inception of a project until its closure and procurement in general within Oxfam Novib. It provides direct project support through seconded staff and procurement management, and indirect support through a core team setting and providing guidance on professional project management, financial and administrative standards for projects and procurement in general.
This role will provide a key contribution to The Power of Voices FAIR for ALL program which aims to achieve fundamental, systemic change through a paradigm shift in the roles of the state and the market. By strengthening civil society we aim to contribute to more inclusive and sustainable trade and value chains. As senior finance specialist, you are responsible for the comprehensive financial management of the Power of Voices Partnership Program FAIR for ALL, which is a 5-year €71 million donor funded program. This is a partnership between Oxfam Novib, research organization SOMO, Huairou Commission, Third World Network-Africa and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and invests in peaceful and just societies by strengthening the advocacy and influencing capacities of local partners in 13 countries. You are seconded from an expertise unit to the project management unit that operates from The Hague, while you manage the project’s finances.
As Senior Finance Specialist, you are collaborating with and providing guidance to the financial officers in the program’s broad network of actors to ensure quality implementation of the project’s financial administration in accordance with Oxfam Novib and donor requirements. The aim is to strengthen a coherent, robust approach to financial management and oversight for the project. The Senior Finance Specialist is therefore an experienced financial manager and very effective communicator.
Tasks and responsibilities
As part of the project management unit, also including a project officer, you will report to the project leader. You are responsible for:
- Advice to the project leader based on financial analysis for financial management decisions focusing on short-term and long-term planning, budget control to ensure budget utilization and prevention of losses. This includes budgeting and timely adjustments;
- Set up a project wide system for a planning and reporting the financial parts of project management, to ensure that all financial elements of project management are properly coordinated. Tasks will include developing project work processes and procedures, coordination of financial reporting, financial control and monitoring of over 27 projects; direct financial administration for about 10 projects;
- Deliver a direct contribution to the realization of project goals of the project by drawing-up and monitoring the consolidated project budget including all partners , including tasks such as the appraisal and consolidation of financial data from the above 27 projects for overall planning and reporting;
- Provide financial oversight on budget follow up at individual project levels;
- Ensuring sound financial administration by all actors in the program in accordance with Oxfam Novib procedural framework as well as donor requirements;
- Providing financial strategic support to the Finance Quality and Control unit to allow for continuous improvements in the financial system and procedures as well as financial project management capacities aligned to the strategic direction Oxfam Novib is taking;
- Coordinating the annual external audit process for the project;
- Ensuring that the financial risks and opportunities are effectively managed, and pro-actively making contributions to lower risks where possible by taking the lead in risk management and actively reviewing Country Office , affiliate and consortium partner risk and support the PMU in identifying realistic mitigation actions to ensure 100% eligibility;
- Ensure 100% compliance to donor requirements at all reporting levels and provided where applicable hands on compliance support provide hands on capacity support where possible to all project counterparts (CO’s , Affiliates, regional Teams and Consortium partners);
- Coordinates and consults with other units such as CORE, Integrity team and Corporate Finance, Quality & Control Unit to resolve bottlenecks/challenges, develop/improve tools and /or templates, and in managing fraud and other incidents;
- Contribute to the development of a knowledge base around donor requirements and advise colleagues involved in projects from the same donor.
Requirements for the job
- have HBO Bachelor level (Higher Vocational Education) or university degree in financial management, business administration, accounting, or other relevant discipline;
- have at least 5 years’ experience in financial management or financial controlling position in a project-based organization, INGO experience an added advantage;
- have a comprehensive understanding of donor contract management, financial project management, sub-granting and contexts of operation in least developed, low and middle income countries;
- have work experience in a complex, networked international organisation;
- have excellent communication and social skills and are a team player;
- are willing to travel to different countries;
- are fluent in English. Knowledge of French and/or Dutch is an advantage.
What we offer
For initial appointments, Oxfam Novib offers a contract of maximum one year (including a one-month probationary period) with possibility of extension. The position is based in The Hague, The Netherlands. Oxfam is committed to providing a fair compensation package a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in grade 9. The gross salary range is between € 2.911 to € 4.479, on the basis of 36 hours per week. Benefits typically include annual pay increases, performance-related salary increases, holiday allowance, contributions to commuting costs, vacation days, parental, care and special leave, a private bicycle scheme, pension scheme, etc.