Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
We are looking for a looking for a
Senior Finance Officer
36 hours per week
Based in The Netherlands, The Hague
About the role
Oxfam Novib is seeking a Senior Finance Officer to support its Sowing Diversity=Harvesting Security program (www.sdhsprogram.org), SD=HS’ aim is to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and indigenous peoples through the enhanced management of food plant diversity. The program works with an integrated approach on topics of farmers’ seed management (Farmer Field Schools), markets and livelihoods (Farmer Seed Enterprises), local food plants to improve food and nutrition security and an enabling policy environment. The program is currently been implemented in eight countries: Guatemala, Laos PDR, Nepal, Peru, Uganda, Vietnam, Zambia & Zimbabwe, with additional linking and learning activities in China. The SFO will be member of the Project Management Unit.
Main Goal of the Job
- The Senior Finance Officer is responsible for the comprehensive financial management of the SD=HS program. This includes the implementation of sound financial controls, budgeting, monitoring, reporting, auditing and forecasting processes, financial risk assessment and management and capacity building for Oxfam country offices and partners.
- S/he oversees implementation of the Programme’s financial management in accordance with Oxfam Novib and donor requirements and is responsible for high quality periodic internal and external reporting. S/he prepares and oversees the annual budgets and provides financial strategic support to the Project Manager. This position will be part of a wider project team which consists of:
- A SD=HS project management team consisting of a Project Manager, MEAL officer; Support Officers technical advisors and a Finance Officer
- 8-12 Oxfam country offices-based project teams including National Project Managers, Finance Officers and other team members Global/ Regional and national NGO-partners
- The Senior Finance Officer is expected to work with and provide guidance to the Finance Officers in this world-wide network of actors to ensure adequate financial project management, control and administration in accordance with Oxfam Novib and donor requirements for this grant. The aim is to strengthen a coherent, robust approach to financial management and oversight for the project. The Senior Finance Officer is therefore an experienced leader and very effective communicator.
- Budgeting and financial planning
- Financial control and monitoring
- Financial analysis and forecasting
- Donor and internal reporting
- External and internal audits
- Financial administration
- Financial Risk management
- Corporate governance & statutory payments
- Budget development for new grants
- Capacity building and coaching of country teams
- Communication on financial donor and Oxfam requirements
- The senior finance officer will be part of the Project Team. S/he will be responsible for
- The oversight of the SD=HS grant’s financial administration in accordance with Oxfam and donor requirements.
- Periodic monitoring of approvals, transfers and expenditures and revises where necessary the financial planning, the registration of information in the management information systems and guides the finance officers of Country Offices, partners and consultants.
- Assessment and development of capacities of project stakeholders to ensure compliance to relevant Oxfam policies and manuals.
- Appraisal of the financial aspects of the workplans and budgets on compliance, quality, risks and coordinate in an appropriate manner financial capacity-building if necessary;
- Budgeting and financial short and long-term planning for the project across all the actors and consolidate this into one for the overall project budget; He/she also prepares the budget and is responsible for the accounting of activities for the Contract Management Unit and Technical Advisors based in The Hague;
- Establishment of sound financial controls in close collaboration with the internal quality control unit and performs quarterly monitoring, forecasting and risk assessments based on variance analysis reports;
- High quality periodic internal reporting (incl. checking and consolidating country office, and partner reports) to the Project Leader, management committee, steering committee and all statutory reporting requirements, and external reporting to the donor;
- Manages external project group audits and ensures implementation of recommendations; prepares and facilitates internal audits.
- Coordinates the project’s financial risk management and monitors the financial risk profiles of country offices. Contributes to managing potential fraud cases in line with Oxfam Novib procedures, with necessary discretion and scrupulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- Provides financial strategic support to the project leaders as well as to the Quality Finance and Control unit to allow for continuous improvements in the financial system and procedures as well as financial project management capacities aligned to the transition of Oxfam Novib towards a project organization.
Requirements for the job
- An Academic level (Master Degree) or HBO Bachelor level (Higher Vocational Education) in financial management, business administration, accounting, or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience in financial management or financial controlling position in a project-based organization;
- Experience in an international setting or in the Global South is an advantage;
- Experience in independent financial planning, budgeting, reporting, project audits and capacity to evaluate these against the political and socio-economic context within which they are carried out;
- Experience and knowledge of relevant financial IT-systems;
- Excellent analytical skills, social skills and you are a team player;
- Fluency in written and oral English; Dutch is recommendable;
- Willing to travel to different countries, sometimes at short notice & willingness to work on other major grants and office budgets within the Oxfam Novib Thematic Units in due time.
What we offer
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 9. The gross salary range is between € 2.719,-to € 4.183,– on the basis of 36 hours per week.
This role is intended to be based in The Hague, the Netherlands. Remote working is non-negotiable. Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
More information and application procedure
If you are interested, please upload your application via the ‘apply’ button below, no later than 12 November, 2020.
For more information about the position, you can contact Harrie Oostingh, program manager of SD=HS via email@example.com.
Applications received by email will not be processed.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.