PAX means peace. PAX brings together people who have the courage to stand for peace. Together with people in conflict areas and concerned civilians worldwide, PAX works to build dignified, and peaceful societies across the globe.
In Africa, PAX is active in Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and in the Sahel region.
PAX is looking to recruit an experienced project lead for its peace building projects in French speaking Africa. Based on interest and experience, the project lead will either work on the Sahel (Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso) or the DRC project.
Project Lead DRC or Sahel (0,8 FTE)
The position is available for 0,8 FTE in HQ or full time in the field (Ouagadougou), based on a 36 hour working week.
PAX is a political peace building organisation. The ideal candidate for this role is an experienced peace building professional with strong understanding of how to combine peace building partnerships for targeted programming with strategic evidence based advocacy and public outreach to achieve maximum impact.
- Strategy development & policy lead
- Development and implementation of peace projects and initiatives with local partners.
- Development and (where relevant) execution of research proposals for the benefit of advocacy and/or learning
- Lobby & advocacy
- Communication and public outreach
- Project cycle management of several peace building projects incl. budget responsibility
- Developing & maintaining donor relations and fundraising
- Coordination of relations with (international) partners for program implementation and/or joint advocacy initiatives
- Academic degree (MA), preferably in a relevant field such as Conflict studies, International relations, Politics or Law;
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience in the transformation of conflict dynamics at several levels and/or in addressing the root causes of conflicts and deteriorated human security situations;
- A nose for the political dimension and dynamics of the peace work, and the ability and flexibility to seize upon the opportunities which arise;
- Project management skills;
- Knowledge of and experience with programming and advocacy on peacebuilding topics such as: conflict transformation, Dealing with the Past, the political economy, natural resources and conflict, gender, peace & security;
- Up-to-date and deep knowledge of the situation in DRC or Sahel and more generally Central/East Africa, knowledge of current political and peace keeping processes in the region is an asset;
- Able to work responsibly under pressure; able to work individually as well as in a team
- Cultural sensitivity; open and tolerant attitude towards others;
- Fluency in French and (at least) professional working proficiency in English are required. Working proficiency of Dutch or one of the local languages is a bonus.
- Good communication and analytical skills;
- Able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances; inventive and assertive attitude;
- Capacity and willingness to travel to DRC or Sahel region or to stay in Ouagadougou;
- Eligible to work in the EU (when candidate prefers to work from HQ)
- Affinity with the work and mission of PAX
- A position in a dynamic and highly international working environment with committed and enthusiastic colleagues;
- An organization with budget and opportunities for personal development;
- Appointment for 28,8 -36 hours per week (depending on duty station);
- Appointment starting as soon as possible;
- Pay scale 10 according to PKN terms and conditions of employment; depending on experience min 2503,87 – 4235,15 euro max gross per month (for a fulltime position of 36 hours p/ week)
Procedure and information
For further information you can contact Mrs. Marianne Moor (Project Lead) or Thirsa de Vries (Team Coordinator Africa).
Interested candidates matching the profile and requirements are requested to send their CV and a motivation letter (1 page) in English addressed to Thirsa de Vries, only by using the application form on the vacancy page of our website.
Closing date for reactions to this vacancy announcement is 12 July 2020.
Interviews will be as soon as possible after the closing date, preferably in the week after the closing date.
PAX is an equal opportunity employer and encourages everyone with skills, passion and courage to participate. We invite applicants from all backgrounds, also with special needs, to apply for this position.