Wetlands International is looking for a Project Controller to join its Financial team. In this role, you will be at the heart of efforts to monitor projects to conserve and restore wetlands for people and nature.
Purpose of the role
The Project controller (PC) reports to Financial Controller (FC).
The PC contributes to the financial streamlining of projects, this includes supporting and advising project managers. The aim is to make optimal use of the financing options/conditions from the donor and to prevent financial risks at a project level.
The PC is also responsible for the project financial administration and the day to day operation of general financial processes related to the project administration and assists in the preparation of financial report to donors, as well as monthly, quarterly and yearly financial and management project reports.
The PC will also assist the FC in preparation of data for the annual accounts and audit process. The PC facilitates project audits resulting from donor requirements or the annual reporting process.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Acts as contact point and adviser to Project Managers during the planning (including preparing project budgets), operational and reporting phases of projects. Generating timely, complete and accurate information and financial project reporting in cooperation with PM’s in agreement with reported project performance.
- Monitors financial flows within projects.
- Identifies proactively (potential) financial bottlenecks and risks within projects and takes appropriate action.
- Communicates and monitors required internal and external (grant-) regulations and conditions.
- Prepares timely, complete and accurate project reporting to donors and, when applicable, prepares project related audit files according to requirements and deadlines.
- Prepares the monthly, quarterly and yearly financial project reporting – including financial risk assessment – for internal organisational monitoring purposes. A financial risk assessment on projects is reported to the FC.
- Generates timely, complete and accurate information and financial project reporting in cooperation with PM’s in agreement with reported project performance.
- Prepares, in cooperation with PM, project budget forecasts.
- Takes responsibility for project administration of projects in the financial system.
- Supports and advises the project manager in checking and invoicing in relation to reports from consultants, partners and subcontractors. Monitors instalments and balances on project contracts.
- Advises PM on contacts with partners and subcontractors.
- Represents Wetlands International finance team in external project meeting as needed.
- Assists and advises in drafting standard contracts for consultants, partners and subcontractors and their processing.
- Assists and advises on project budgets, project monitoring and project archiving.
INSIDE Wetlands International:
Financial Controller, Head of Resources, Global Office staff – especially Project Managers, Finance Officers in Wetlands International Network offices.
OUTSIDE Wetlands International:
Auditor, finance staff of donors and partners
The successful candidate will have a recognised financial qualification and accounting experience in a project driven organisation, strong creative and problem-solving skills and an ability to explain financial issues to non-financial management. The candidate will have a proactive attitude and is willing to further develop knowledge and expertise in this field. The candidate should also be familiar with working in an international setting and have an interest in environmental conservation and sustainable development.
Essential education and experience
- Recognised professional accounting qualification. 5+ years of relevant experience in an accounting position.
- Knowledge of and experience in supporting and completing the various phases of subsidy processes (from application to reporting).
- Knowledge of and experience with international contract management.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and fluent in English.
- Experience of project accounting on major, multi-site, multi-partner projects.
- Working experience with financial accounting systems, and other management information systems relevant to the sector.
- Excellent knowledge and command of Excel.
- Experience of working in an international and multi-cultural organization with multiple in country offices.
- Experience of accounting in developing countries is desired.
- Active interest in current environment and development matters
- Develops and uses systems to organize and keep track of information or work progress.
- Effectively operates in external environments – accurately describes the issues and culture of external stakeholders. Uses this information to negotiate goals and initiatives.
- Ensures that systems are in place to effectively monitor and evaluate progress.
- Works on new projects or assignments that add value without compromising current accountabilities.
- Identifies possible scenarios regarding outcomes of various options for action.
- Ensures alignment of authority, responsibility and accountability with organizational objectives.
- Demonstrates leadership in teams – discusses problems/ issues with team members that could affect results.
- Ensures that appropriate linkages/partnerships between teams are maintained.
How to apply
To apply for this vacancy, please send us a resume and an application letter indicating your motivation to Jozefa van der Veen, HR Officer firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mark in the subject: “Application – Project Controller”. Questions about the vacancy and/or procedure can also be sent to this email address.
Deadline for the application is Sunday 9 May 2021.
Interviews will take place shortly after.
“Due to the high amount of applications, we can only contact short listed candidates.”