The Programme & Knowledge Advisor (PKA) will be part of the Programmes & Knowledge team in The Hague. They will beresponsible for providing thematic and technical advice to NIMD country offices and partners in the Sahel and West Africa, regarding the design and implementation of programmes or projects that focus on supporting inclusive and peaceful democracies with responsive political actors.
NIMD currently has a Sahel regional programme in Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger, and additionally has activities or active relations in Benin, Senegal and Liberia.
You are an experienced development professional with hands-on experience in managing or supporting programmes or projects related to democracy support, ideally obtained in countries in West Africa. You understand political dynamics and are excited to support democratic values and processes. You have experience in supporting international teams and partners, and in ensuring programmatic quality. You find creative solutions when contexts change, and are committed to achieving results and lasting impact. You are keen to share your expertise and contribute to organisational learning. You are value-driven with a good sense of realism.
• Is the institutional focal point for NIMD programming in West Africa, providing programmatic and strategic advice to country offices in the Sahel region (Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger).
• Acts as a sparring partner and critical reflector for Country Directors and their staff on the planning, execution, monitoring and adaptation of programme components, balancing demand-driven support and the safeguarding of NIMD’s approach and programmatic priorities.
• Monitors that programmes are implemented in accordance with the agreed boundaries of the different funding contract requirements (templates, frameworks, reports) in close coordination with the Grants Management Team
• Acts as thematic lead for one of the thematic priority areas of NIMD’s Multi Annual Strategy, and on this basis provides knowlegde support to the NIMD network around the world.
• Expands this thematic expertise and actively promotes knowledge sharing (through exchanges, products and tools) throughout the network.
• Provides and arranges support for country offices towards increased devolution of decision-making, based on their organizational development plans and in line with NIMD’s agenda towards a stronger global network. .
• A relevant academic background.
• A minimum of seven years of relevant working experience in the area of international development, (international) programme management, and/or political analysis.
• Experience in working on democratization and with political actors, ideally on subjects related to NIMD’s area of expertise related to dialogue, capacity building, democracy education, and women’s political participation.
• Politically sensitive and excellent intercultural and personal communication skills.
• Excellent command of both French and English, both orally and in writing is required. Knowledge of other languages from NIMD programmes is an asset.
• Pro-active with a hands-on attitude.
• Team player, but also able to working independently.
• Skilled in providing support and advice remotely, in facilitation, analysis, and giving technical assistance.
• The ability to work effectively (online and in person) with people from different contexts and cultures.
• Applicants must have a valid work permit for the European Union.
We offer a position for 32- 38 hours at our office in The Hague for one year, renewable. You will work in the Programme & Knowledge Team under the guidance of the Head of Programmes & Knowledge. Under normal circumstances this position involves regular international travel.
NIMD offers a competitive remuneration package, including a laptop and mobile phone. The salary corresponds to the Dutch Government salary framework (Rijk), scale 11 (EUR 3.279,-– EUR 5.039,- gross per month based on 38 hours). In addition, NIMD offers a flexible and fun work environment with good secondary benefits, including a personal training budget.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their applications in the form of a motivation letter and a résumé in English to firstname.lastname@example.org before 15 June 2021. Interviews will be held shortly thereafter.
For additional information, please contact Wouter Dol; Head of Programmes & Knowledge, via email@example.com or via +31 (0)70-3115464.
Principals only. Only replies by individual candidates for this job will be considered.