PR & COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (36 HRS/WEEK)
FOR THE EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
(ERC) AT FAIR WEAR FOUNDATION
At Fair Wear Foundation, we know there is a better way to make clothes, a fairer way. We want to see a world where the garment industry supports workers’ rights to safe, dignified and properly paid employment. This is why we focus on the most labour-intensive parts of the supply chain to find answers to problems others think are unsolvable. We partner with brands and support workers. We take practical steps and test new solutions to show that it’s possible to make clothes in a fairer way. With industry influencers, we push towards a new normal creating change that goes far beyond our reach. Together, we’re making fashion fair for everyone.
Fair Wear is an Amsterdam-based, international non-profit organisation. We support our 130+ member brands with practical knowledge and guidance and verify their efforts at their headquarters and in production countries. We have 50+ Amsterdam-based staff of very diverse backgrounds and work with expert teams in eleven production countries.
FAIR WEAR IS CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A:
PR AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
At Fair Wear, we work in six teams. Fair Wear’s External Relations & Communications (ERC) Team focuses on showing the world that there is a better, fairer way to make clothes. We strategically promote our approach and share our solutions with all relevant Fair Wear target groups, from brands to industrial stakeholders and from Instagram influencers to international organisations. We engage and influence key industry stakeholders to push the industry towards a new normal. We build on our reputation and credibility through speaking engagements, media outreach and the development of fruitful partnerships.
With the addition of a PR & Communications Officer in the ERC team, Fair Wear is looking to further expand its efforts and impact. We are looking for a new colleague who is a word magician with a natural ability to write Fair Wear stories and enjoys working with media.
In addition to contributing to the team’s overall strategy, the PR & Communications Officer would
divide their time between the following activities and responsibilities:
• Managing Fair Wear’s reputation and tone in content
• Create well-written content, including long copy (e.g., Fair Wear stories, interviews, statements), and keep up-to-date appealing messaging of Fair Wear in general and of the different focus topics
• Aligning messaging and ensuring consistency of Fair Wear and its different partnerships
• Ensuring Fair Wear staff is incorporating external communications into their everyday work and planning, aligning it with the tone and storytelling style of Fair Wear
• Developing content for brochures, videos and presentations
• Designing and implementing a global media strategy aligned with Fair Wear’s positioning
• Up-to-date on talking points on priority topics and countries
• Engaging with relevant international journalists
• (Coordination of) pro-active media outreach
• Responding to media requests
• In particular cases: spokesperson for Fair Wear or writing talking points for other Fair Wear spokespeople
• Writing and distributing press releases
• Supporting the news flow on Fair Wear’s website
• Maintaining Fair Wear’s media contact database
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
We are looking for someone with the following qualifications and skills:
• At least 3-5 years relevant professional experience
• Bachelor’s degree (journalism, communication, PR) or equivalent
• Native English speaker or equivalent, Dutch is a plus
• Excellent writing skills and ability to turn complex content into readable texts
• Experience in working with press
• Preferably an understanding of the garment industry and Fair Wear’s audiences
• Strong team player with the ability to manage challenging tasks independently
• Good decision-making, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
• Affinity with Fair Wear’s vision and mission
• Eligible to work in the Netherlands
Please visit www.fairwear.org for more information about our organisation. For more information about the position, you can email email@example.com. We offer a salary in accordance with the Dutch government remuneration system (BBRA) scale 10 (€ 2.756,75 – € 4.430,97 gross, depending on relevant experience), with a possibility to advance to scale 11. If you are interested, please send your CV and cover letter with past writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 August. We will interview candidates in the week of 16-27 August.
Recruitment agencies are asked to refrain from approaching Fair Wear Foundation about this or any