Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Climate Justice movements have the power and space to voice their demands for sustainable, climate resilient and fair economies. The unit is responsible for allying, support and campaign with and ensuring Oxfam (Novib) is contributing to and part of a strong and inclusive climate justice movement. We will work with southern civil society, allies, partners and movements, especially women, youth and food producers and their communities, working on climate justice and their agenda so they have the power to influence local, national, and international decision-makers through presenting alternatives and claiming space for their issues. We will develop programs and campaigns based on southern led agenda’s, while working with global and Dutch actors and audiences ensuring connections between them.
The GREEN Unit Climate Justice Movements is looking for a
Policy Lead Climate Change and natural resources
Location The Hague, 0.89 FTE
This role works across and the Oxfam confederation and with partners to co-develop campaigns, influencing strategies and donor proposals which link local to global. The role actively works with partners and country offices to ensure implementation of multi country programmes and grants, specifically MoFa funded ‘Power of Voices: Fair for All’ and ‘Power of Voices: African Activist for Climate Justice’; and the Sida funded programme ‘Harvesting global food security and justice in the face of climate change’ with a focus on climate change, natural resources and food systems. A keen eye and active involvement is foreseen in the ambition to contribute to a diverse and active movement for climate justice. In this roll you will Reporting to the Unit Manager GREEN Climate Justice Activism .
• Leads and/or contributes to the development, evidence based policy propositions, advocacy strategies and research, in co-ordinaton with Oxfam teams, country offices, partners and allies
• Advocates the agreed evidence based policy positions toward the relevant decision makers in the Netherlands, the European Union, Intergovernemental organizations (including the UNFCCC) and the private sector by means of conversations, letters, and engagement with (online) media.
• Networks with government officials, politicians, private sector representatives, PPPs, NGOs, academia, the media and other civil society actors.
• Writes and/ or manages the production of policy briefings, media articles and/or research
• Initiates and works together within Oxfam and with country offices, alliances and partners on the development of new projects and programs that could be funded by backdonors and ensure quality delivery of agreed outcomes with existing back donors.
• Leads and/or co-ordinates when needed Oxfam advocacy (project) teams.
• Works with(in) Oxfam (Novib)’s multi-disciplinary teams to devise and implement campaign strategies.
• Master degree in a relevant field required;
• Understanding of campaigning and influencing at national and global level and how they link;
• At least 3 to 5 years of work experience in the field of advocacy preferably with an international agency;
• Good knowledge of the international climate policy debates, including climate finance and climate resilience, carbon based consumption and land use, from an economic social justice perspective
• Proven analytical, strategic planning and project design skills;
• Proven analytical and strategic skills
• Strong influencing and convincing skills and a track record of achieving advocacy results
• Leadership skills and experience with leading and co-ordinating cross-country teams
• Team player and accustomed to working in complex working environments
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) in Dutch, English and preferably French
• Strong networking and influencing skills, accompanied by a strong relevant network with civil servants, politicians, private sector parties, media and other advocacy actors.
• Experience in program and project development & management and external fundraising
• Willingness to travel abroad;
• A network with donor agencies is an asset, while also knowledge of the Oxfam confederation will be considered an asset.
• Applicants must be a National of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union and possess travel permits.
You will be working in the GREEN unit of Oxfam Novib’s Office in The Hague. The culture of our team is a value we highly appreciate. The team is highly involved in our international ambition to be part of a worldwide influencing network, including through working with others.
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. This position is classified in scale 10. The gross salary range is between € 3.245,- to € 4.994,- on the basis of 36 hours per week. The position will be based in The Hague, The Netherlands.
More information and application procedure
If you are interested, please upload your application via the ‘apply’ button below, no later than April 20st, 2021.
For more information about the position, you can contact Gerard Steehouwer (gerard.Steehouwer@oxfamnovib.nl) .
Applications received by email will not be processed
Applicants for this contract must be Dutch nationals or nationals of a European Union member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Therefore, people of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colors, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.