Name of host institution: Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL)
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) with a focus on enhanced capacity and expertise through provision of technical support and placement of technical personnel and experts under the Directorate of Livestock is determined to recruit, a livestock expert. This will be carried out with the support from IOM the International Organization for Migration (IOM) which works to encourage social and economic development through migration and remains committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
Organizational Unit/Department: Directorate of Livestock
Duration of assignment: from: September 2020 Till: November 2020
Objectives of Assignment
- Increase the capacity of the livestock department based on the gaps identified
- To strengthen the livestock sector and reach self-sufficiency
- Number of staff trained with increased capacity in dairy, fishery, beekeeping, poultry, small ruminants and animal nutrition (12 technical staff)
- Number of concepts/models developed (5 concepts) regarding dairy, fishery, beekeeping, poultry and small ruminants
- Increased/improved livestock service delivery and productivity
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Phase one:
- Review the current documents (Policy, manual, regulation and concept) and based on the gaps found, develop new concepts and models in the livestock sector
- Support the Livestock Service Department with the completion of related regulations and procedures according to the animal health act
- Conduct a needs assessment on the livestock department to find out the existing gaps
- Help the directorate with provision of short and long-term planning for livestock production development
- Assess current livestock extension methods and approaches, find gaps and provide recommendations and plans for further improvements
- Phase two:
- Assess the current service delivery mechanism of the department at the national and field level and create a plan for improvement
- Help the directorate with the developing a strategic plan on animal food and feeding, identify areas of interventions related to the animal feeding
- Support the department with identifying knowledge gaps and establish a capacity-building mechanism e.g. linking with knowledge and education sources at the national and international levels
- Organize trainings according to the need of the staff in the livestock department
- Phase three:
- Develop monitoring tools and a checklist to detect any need for adjustments or changes in the livestock strategies implementation
- Perform any other duties as directed by the direct supervisor.
- Strong organizational communication
- Rapport building
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Ability to conduct training, workshop, meetings, seminars etc.
- Good contextual knowledge of public sector development issues, government and Ministry priorities, organizational relationships, social and cultural constrains and realities and environmental conditions;
- Proven experience in capacity development, coaching and monitoring
- Proven ability to work within limited time constrains in the preparation of high-quality documents.
- Proven ability to work under stressful conditions and to work with all staffs
- Ability to work efficiently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment inspiring trust and cooperation of other team members
- Strong commutation, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations;
- Good quantitative skills, computer literate (Microsoft Office package, designing software and online tools).
Education and Experience
10 years of relevant experience with at least a bachelor’s degree in animal science or veterinary sciences. Previous experience in the field of livestock development, planning, program and project development, farm management and value chain development.
Please check the General Requirements before applying and note in particular that the assignments are only open to Dutch nationals, or those with residence in the Netherlands, and in some cases nationals or residents of other EU countries.
The duration of assignments is open to negotiation with to respect to any prior obligations of potential participants (i.e. current employment). In some cases, there is a possibility to split into several shorter assignments.
Due to COVID19, expert assignments might be postponed to a later date than the ones mentioned in the vacancies, or virtual assignments can be facilitated.