We are looking for:
Head of Logistics Department
(40 hours per week, based in Amsterdam)
The Logistics Department consists of approximately 60 FTE’s currently structured in the units Field Support Unit (FSU), responsible for first and second line support to field logisticians and operational decision makers, and the Amsterdam Procurement Unit (APU), responsible for the procurement, warehousing and distribution of drugs and goods required by our field teams. The teams operate out of MSF-OCA’s Amsterdam and Berlin offices. Operational management for both units is delegated to several Coordinators and Team Leaders. Direct reports include QA, GDP and RA roles as well as the department assistant.
The Head of the Logistics Department is accountable for the delivery of logistical and supply chain services to the MSF-OCA medical operations and the assigned departmental budget, and in particular for the development and execution of improvement strategies with a focus on process effectiveness and efficiency and the provision of leadership and coaching to the Logistics Department.
The main objectives of this position are to align the department’s strategic objectives with MSF-OCA’s Strategic Plan and to oversee execution according to an agreed annual activity plan. The Head of Logistics is instrumental in improving the delivery capacity of the units – both in terms of quality as well as quantity. The Head of Logistics will take a leading role in the design and implementation of improvement programmes such as forecasting solutions, distribution design, stock management, 3PL management and medical facility and equipment management. Also the description of service portfolio’s, functions and performance reports (KPI management) require attention.
The Head of Logistics will report to the Director Resources and he/she will work with his/her peers in Finance, ICT, HRM and PMO, towards an improved and more sustainable support model that offers relevant and effective services to our medical operations teams in the field. The Resources management team will also visibly champion all transformational programmes. The Head of Logistics represents MSF-OCA at various international platforms.
We are looking for a candidate with the following characteristics:
- A result-driven, service-minded, dynamic and innovative (humanitarian) logistics manager with a ‘can-do’ attitude and excellent problem-solving skills;
- Capable of conceptual and analytical thinking and translating concepts into practice;
- Strong leadership skills with proven change management experience and a ‘continuous improvement’ mind-set;
- Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person’s point of view;
- Ability to handle pressure and maintain overview in dealing with multiple projects and stakeholders in a fast changing context;
- Ability and willingness to travel abroad to other MSF offices and our field missions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Supply Chain, Logistics, Engineering, Economics or another related field, with advanced knowledge of distribution, warehousing and order management, in addition to people management training courses;
- 5-10 years of experience in a relevant (senior) management position, with demonstrated success in managing projects and change processes;
- >10 years of experience in supply chain and logistics
- Experience in leveraging outsourced logistics service provider to manage the supply chain;
- Experience in operating in a dynamic, international and political work environment and/or a matrix organization;
- MSF-experience, or work experience in the humanitarian sector, is considered an advantage;
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent command of the English language with active knowledge of French being an asset.
- The successful candidate is passionate about the work we do.
A position in a challenging, international environment;
Opportunity to travel (approx. 10%) and experience the dynamics of a globally operating, leading humanitarian healthcare organization
A fulltime appointment for 3 years with option for renewal, subject to satisfactory performance;
A salary determined on relevant professional experience within a pay range of € 4,416 and € 6,307 gross per month based on a full-time appointment of 40 hours per week;
Other benefits include 30 holidays per annum and a premium-free pension.
Further information and application
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, you can address your questions with Shekhar Pula, Director Resources, on Friday 21 February between 10.00 and 14.00 (CET) on tel. +31 (0)20 520 8052.
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the website. Click here to be directed to the website. Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
Deadline for receipt of applications is 29 February 2020.
The first round of interviews are planned in the week of 9th March 2020. This will be a Skype interview. The second round of interviews are planned in HQ Amsterdam in the week of 16th March. Start date is 1st June 2020.
An assessment may be part of the selection procedure.