Akvo is looking for a dynamic financial project controller who is eager to learn. As our financial project controller, you will be responsible for making sure that Akvo has the financial systems and procedures in place to conduct flawless audits and support effective project implementation. Of course, you have a great eye for detail and like to figure things out. You’ll be part of the global finance team and report to the CFO. You’ll work closely together with the HR & talent team and project and programme managers based in Akvo hubs worldwide. You will be in contact with many members of our international community.
We believe that sustainable change will happen faster if governments and non governmental organisations become more effective, accountable and collaborative. With a team of data and development experts, a solid and scalable open source data platform, and a proven methodology, we help our partners power their decisions to achieve inclusive and sustainable impact. We support the improved management of water, sanitation and agriculture and have a strong commitment to the sustainable development goals.
Since 2008, we’ve worked with over 20 governments and 200 organisations in more than 70 countries to improve the way they make decisions using data. With a core team of over 75 data and development experts in five continents, we’ve built the data skills of over 15,000 people and have supported partners in carrying out over 6.5 million surveys.
Akvo has over 120 projects running at the same time, from grants and consultancy to software-only contracts. As the financial project controller, you’ll work closely with project and programme managers from all over the world to explore how you can support them with project-related finance and accounting procedures. You are a responsible, diligent and open-minded team player. You have great attention to detail and a desire to get things done, supported by your excellent intercultural communication skills.
- Oversee project accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems and ensuring compliance with appropriate General Accepted Accounting Principles standards and requirements
- Conduct admin and maintenance of timewriting system
- Assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements
- Execute financial project audits
- Prepare and send out sales invoices
- Keep project and programme managers informed about the financial status of their projects and programmes
- Support (annual) financial planning, forecasting and reporting activities
- Provide organisation-wide support in the use of financial systems such as Exact Online, Rydoo and Clockwise
Key competencies and skills
- A relevant degree in financial administration, accounting or related
- 1-2 years working experience in a similar role
- High proficiency in MS Excel & Google sheets(e.g., formulas, pivot tables, tables and graph production)
- Excellent accounting software and administration skills (Exact Online)
- The ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- The flexibility to work in an international environment and with different currencies
- An accurate and systematic way of working
- An open and approachable attitude
- Excellent intercultural communication skills
- Great eye for detail
- The ability to multi-task and operate via online tools, as part of a global team
- Interest in the international development sector
- Excellent command of English in both writing and speaking (French and/or Dutch is a bonus)
What we offer
- 0.8-1.0 FTE employment
- A unique chance to be part of our international Akvo community, with motivated and talented people whose diverse backgrounds converge to accomplish ambitious objectives
- Contribute to our mission: unlocking the power of data to boost sustainable development
- Salary range: €2600-3600 Gross monthly salary
How to apply
- Think you’ve got what it takes? Send your motivation letter and resume in PDF to Kathelyne van den Berg via email@example.com with the subject line “Application Financial Project Controller”. The closing date for this application is 01-03-2021.
- Please note that for this position, you must be based in the Netherlands and/or already in possession of a valid work permit.