Director – CEO
We are looking for a new CEO. A strategic leader who wants to make an impact for sustainable development through data and digitalisation. Together with Akvo’s global team, you are able to develop and implement a sustainable growth strategy for Akvo. You are an inspiring leader with the drive to bring digital transformation to the development sector.
Akvo was ignited when a hydrogeologist and an opensource innovator met in 2007. Together, they sought to combine their expertise in development aid and IT to effectively address the world’s most pressing issues. Ever since, Akvo has been strengthening its unique combination of sector knowledge, local presence, and information technology to disrupt and rejuvenate development aid.
Today, Akvo consists of a global team of digitalisation, data and development experts. Our opensource data platform and Data Journey methodology has helped 20 governments and 200 organisations become more data driven. As a result, our partners have improved the management of water, sanitation and agriculture, with a strong commitment to the sustainable development goals.
The Akvo team
Akvo is a global organisation with local presence in East Africa, West Africa, Indonesia, and South America. The Akvo team is made up of over 75 bright minds and passionate hearts, from software developers to monitoring and evaluation specialists, and from data scientists to water quality experts. Akvo’s HQ in the Netherlands is responsible for strategic direction, global partnerships, and operating our online platform and mobile services. Local presence is key – that’s why we have regional hubs on five continents to provide local knowledge and expertise to partners. The rest of the Akvo team works remotely from all over the world.
Akvo has grown from a startup – pioneering the use of digital tools in development aid – to a healthy social enterprise with a strong vision for the future. We are now at a pivotal moment. With the growing capacity for NGOs and governments to collect data, the ability to effectively use this data is rising exponentially, too. Digital transformation is well established in the commercial sector. There are numerous opportunities and challenges in bringing this overlooked engine to the development sector in an ethical and equitable way.
- How can we continue to develop strategic alliances between NGOs, donors, governments and investors in order to effectively realise this digital transformation?
- How can we continue to scale up and build our capacity, both locally and globally?
- How can we realise our vision based on a sustainable business model?
- How can we contribute to and effectively monitor our impact?
Our new CEO will lead us through this next phase and develop a global growth strategy in close cooperation with colleagues and the Supervisory Board. They will be able to translate the outcome into both business development and HR policy.
Akvo’s new CEO fits the following profile:
- You have a passion for sustainable development and a drive to make impact.
- You are familiar with the developments and the possibilities in the field of data management and data-oriented development.
- You are ‘out-of-the-box’ and creative in exploring new opportunities.
- You are able to take the lead in guiding Akvo to its next phase.
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to communicate effectively on different levels.
- As a figurehead of Akvo, you are able to maintain good lasting relationships with our networks. You have a good idea of potential new alliances with investors, NGOs, partners and donors that are in line with Akvo’s strategic goals, and you are able to link them to Akvo in a sustainable way.
- You have experience with international cooperation and preferably experience in African regions.
- You have experience in managing professionals in a network organisation.
- You know how to inspire and challenge people to get the best out of them and the team as a whole.
- You have attention for the personal development of people.
- You are familiar with project-based and programmatic work.
- You are a team player.
- You are preferably based in the Netherlands and have a basic knowledge of French.
Terms of employment
The position offers a maximum salary of € 8.350,- gross per month for a full-time appointment excluding 8% vacation pay. 66% of the pension fee is covered by Akvo. There is also a yearly development budget available. This is an appointment for one year with extension to an indefinite contract.
Akvo is supported in the search for a new CEO by executive search agency Colourful People. For more information about the position and about Akvo, please contact Rick Verhoeven, partner at Colorful People (+31 6 267 067 57).
You can express your interest by uploading your letter and CV before 09-05 2021 via the application form. The discussions with Akvo’s selection committee will take place on 01-06-2021 and 03-06-2021.
The interviews will take place at the Headquarters of AKVO in Amsterdam and will be conducted in English.
Agency calls are not appreciated.