As of 1 January 2020 MSF-Holland has a vacancy for the position of
Deputy Director MSF-Holland (100%)
based in Amsterdam
MSF-Holland (MSF-H) has gained a strong position in Dutch society. We have a solid brand and we have a stable donor base. Our uniqueness relies on the ‘golden triangle’ between the people we assist, the people as in our staff, and the people who support us. As Deputy Director MSF-H you will strengthen our engagement with current and future supporters. You will effectively build up the network in Holland to leverage positive change for the people we assist. You will ensure we recruit great nurses, doctors, logisticians, specialists and managers in the Dutch market who will work with diverse teams from around the world assisting people in need, witnessing what their situation is. You will ensure that field staff is facilitated to share their experiences with the Dutch public. You represent MSF-H in Dutch society as far as delegated by the General Director. You direct communication and engagement activities attuned to our work and identity (awareness raising, advocacy) and you will meet our fundraising objectives.
As Deputy Director you are also responsible for the provision of a stimulating work environment in the Amsterdam office for all employees, for visiting field staff and colleagues from around the world. You will ensure MSF-H is a responsible employer to staff on Dutch contract (partly as service to OCA), in accordance with Dutch labour laws. You facilitate dialogue, foster an open atmosphere and host social events whilst overseeing the general services (facilities) for all employees and visitors to the office.
Responsibilities and activities
Strategy & implementation
- Develop and execute the Strategic Plan MSF-H, aligned with Strategic Plan OCA;
- Align Strategic Plan MSF-H by translating it to Multi Year Implementation Plans, Annual Plans (Planning & Control cycle) and Performance management (HR-cycle);
- Ensure embedding and aligning of the Strategic Plan MSF-H with the Communication and Fundraising, Recruitment and Career management and Facilities strategies and plans.
- Responsible to maintain a relevant network in the Netherlands on a high political and social level.
- Ensures active representation of MSF (entire MSF, not only MSF-Holland or MSF-OCA) towards key stakeholders and interlocutors in Dutch society and as delegated by the General Director;
- Ensures a clear and transparent positioning of MSF in Dutch society and actively pursues (future) opportunities;
- Ensures advocating for the plight of the people MSF assists worldwide (advocacy) in Dutch society;
- Ensures a strong link to the associative life in the Dutch society;
- Participates in fundraising activities and the management of key accounts.
- Direct line management of Head of Communications and Fundraising, Coordinator Recruitment & Career management, Coordinator Facilities and Executive assistant of the Deputy Director MSF-H;
- Overview the activities of Communications & Fundraising, Recruitment & Career management, Facilities and the contribution from MSF-Holland towards MSF-OCA;
- Chair of MSF-H Management Team and member of OCA Management Team;
- Reports to the General Director of MSF-H (who is also the Chair of OCA Management Team).
Delegated responsibility of the General Director;
- Chairs and animates the MSF-H MT (and MSF-H related other platforms).
- Prepares and conducts meetings with the MSF-H Works Council;
- Supports the President of the Board of MSF-Holland with agenda setting and preparation. Represents the MSFH Management Team at MSF-H Board meetings, with the General Director participating in Board meetings at P&C-cycle moments (incl. Strategic Plan), crises situations or in other exceptional situations;
- Maintains and develops the partnership with other primary partners of MSF-OCA;
- Contributes to the MSF-H Association.
- You understand the role that MSF plays in the global humanitarian aid system through its direct medical humanitarian action and témoignage.
- You are an engaging and charismatic leader, with the ability to lead and manage with clarity and a proven track-record of achieving results in a changing, dynamic environment, while appreciating being the Deputy Director, supporting the General Director who is end responsible and the figurehead publicly in The Netherlands.
- You can lead discussions and you have the (public) presentation and debating skills to represent MSF in Dutch society and to influence stakeholders for the benefit of the people we assist.
- You are authentic, solution-oriented and a creative thinker with a ‘can do’ mentality.
- You have demonstrable networking skills, a warm and inspiring personality with a proven track record of building relationships across institutions and internally across all levels and teams in a diverse and multi-cultural environment.
- You are data driven and an experienced user of digital media
- MSF experience at field level (and preferably HQ experience as well)
- Excellent communication skills (including written and spoken Dutch and English)
- Contributing to a beautiful social mission in a stimulating, professional working environment in an international organization.
- A Dutch employment contract from 1 January 2021, based on 40 hours per week. The contract is for three years with renewal option.
- A gross monthly salary of a minimum of € 5,038 and a maximum of € 7,193 for a full-time appointment based on relevant work experience;
- Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium free pension.
Information & application
For more information about the recruitment process and MSF in general, please contact recruiter Marleen Boers at email@example.com.
For more information about the position, please contact Lara Almalakeh (Executive Assistant to the General Director MSF-Holland / Chair MSF-OCA MT) at Lara.Almalakeh@amsterdam.msf.org.
The closing date for applications is 8 August 2020.
Selection will be by means of two interviewing rounds. The first round will take place in the weeks of 7/14 Sep 2020, the second in the weeks of 28 Sep/5 Oct 2020. A test/case and an assessment may be part of the recruitment process.
If you recognize yourself in this profile, we welcome you to apply directly via our website and upload a letter of motivation + Curriculum Vitae as one combined document.
***Acquisition is not appreciated***