“Climate change does not discriminate, we will all be affected” You’ve probably heard this phrase before. But it’s not true. Because women have a fourteen times bigger chance to die of climate disasters. And 80% of all climate refugees are women!
The clock is ticking for our climate. Especially for women in the Global South, who are already being hit by climate change. Yet politicians and companies keep moving at a snail pace. It is time to increase the pressure!
That’s why ActionAid is hosting a second Climate Justice Summer School – this time focusing on the Feminist Perspective. We will train you in 4 months on feminist solutions to climate change and how you can organise your own actions. This way, you’ll learn to get politicians’ attention and how you can transform that attention into effecient lobbying strategies.
You will meet your fellow Summer School participants on June 19th, at the Climate March in Rotterdam, so keep that day free in your schedules!
In phase 1 of the program you will gain in depth knowledge, meet inspirational experts, activists, and government officials from across the globe, and develop the skills needed to make a difference. These sessions will be held from the 6th of July until the 10th of august on Wednesdays. They will be approximately 2 hour session in the evening. Some will be held in person and some can be followed online.
In phase 2 you will be spilt into teams to develop actions to push, nudge, guide, and encourage law makers, policy makers, government officials and politicians to take a stand for gender just climate action at COP27. You will be guided by campaigning and activism experts from ActionAid in how to create you action to ensure that it resonates with the people you are targeting and will help drive the solutions forward. We will host three campaiging workshops on Wednesday 31st of August, the 14th and 28th of September. Then during the month of October you will be doing the actions you have been preparing for all summer!
What we offer
- Professional support during the full 3 month program;
- Access to the knowledge, expertise and team at ActionAid;
- 6 incredibly interesting, interactive and educational sessions on climate, human rights, women’s rights, lobbying and the relationship between the global north and the global south;
- The chance to develop your own actions to push the issue forward;
- The opportunity to expand your network;
- A certificate of completion (if you attend 5/6 of the workshops in phase 1 and partake in 2/3 sessions in phase 2);
- The chance to express your creativity;
- Meet and greets with professionals from the NGO and lobbying sector;
- Travel compensation for the in person sessions.
What we expect from you
- Attending 5/6 of the phase 1 sessions and 2/3 sessions in phase 2;
- Participating in the development of an action;
- A short letter of motivation;
- 3 hours a week in phase 1 and 4 hour a week in phase 2.
Submit your application via our website. Write a short letter of motivation (1/2 A4 to 1 A4) and upload it with your name, e-mail address and phone number. We will be in touch! As there are limited sports available we cannot guarantee that everyone will get a chance to take part in the program.
If you have and questions please reach out to Marjon Melissen email@example.com.