Position summary and job purpose
The Chief Donor Engagement Officer (CDEO) is responsible for developing and implementing GRI’s fundraising strategy and building the organizational capacity and culture to ensure its success. The CDEO is responsible for expanding GRI’s donor funded programs and growing and diversifying its funding base. The CDEO reports to the Chief Executive and is a member of the GRI Executive Team. He/she leads the fundraising department and works directly with GRI’s regional hubs and offices (in 11 locations).
• Develop and implement medium-term and long-term global strategy to strengthen GRI’s grant financing through a comprehensive, diversified development strategy that includes Global Standards Fund and outreach to corporate donors, private foundations, EC and bilateral funders.
• Engage deeply in GRI’s strategies, people, programs and plans to represent the organization to partners and potential funders.
• Actively engage in GRI’s Executive Team and across the organization to develop effective communication and messages for and outreach to donor audiences.
• Manage Fundraising and Development Team.
• Serve as an effective spokesperson for GRI on an international basis.
• Manage the Fundraising Committee that engages Board Members, GSSB members and Stakeholder Council members around financing support for GRI.
• This position will require some international travel (depending on the global Covid situation).
Essential Skills and Capabilities
The Chief Donor Engagement Officer will:
• Demonstrated senior level experience and expertise and in Sustainable Development; Specific experience in ESG disclosure and GRI are the differentiators.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and creating innovative and development strategies.
• Inspiring, passionate (about sustainability), curious and open minded.
• Demonstrated capability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and fundraising targets.
• Working knowledge of global ethical fundraising legal frameworks and practices.
• Strong leadership and management skills with ability to delegate, train, coach and motivate staff.
• Excellent written and verbal English language communication skills (knowledge of other languages is an advantage) with direct experience in working with and presenting to Boards.
• Excellent interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills, to develop effective long-term relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Collaborative management and working style with a diverse workforce; strong mediating skills.
• Establish Strategic Direction: Commitment to a long-range course of action to accomplish a vision taking into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
• Accurate Self-Insight: Demonstrate an awareness own strengths and development needs, as well as the impact of own behaviour on others.
• Able to work in an international and multi-cultural setting.
• 10+ years of demonstrated non-profit fundraising success. Experience with European Foundations and Corporate fundraising experience preferred.
• Experience working in international non-profit organizations (> €10 million), as well as in a global and multi-national environment.
• Existing strong network of potential partners and funders, essential.
• Experience in global sustainability themes (e.g., SDGs, climate change, etc.).
• Experience in operating in multiple regions and countries.
• Experience in sustainability, corporate responsibility and corporate ESG disclosure.
• Track record of operational leadership in a senior role in a complex, international organization.
• Experience in working with Directors and senior management to deliver strategic objectives.
To apply for this role
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to Zoe Oldham at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “GRI – CDEO” in the email subject line. Also please let us know where you saw the post advertised.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 24th October 2021
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.