The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in selected sectors in four focus countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
In each country priority sectors and institutions have been identified, in close coordination with responsible ministries and the Netherlands embassies. Assignments are for a short periods of up to 3 months and the project offers an allowance to cover costs.
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Interior and Local Government is one of key Ministries of Somaliland and entrusted with playing an important role in improving the quality and standards of life of urban and rural communities in Somaliland. Responsibilities include;
- Country security;
- Good governance and decentralization reforms;
- National security supervision of Local governments;
- Conduct of elections;
- Public Administration; and
- Immigration matters.
The Ministry is authorized to deal with all issues that concern immigration, asylum seekers and refugees and to take corrective actions to deal with emergency issues that can threaten the lives of Somaliland people and their security, such as armed conflicts. The Somaliland Ministry of Interior and Local Government has a major role in achieving tangible outcomes in politics, security & administration development at regional, district and communal levels.
In addition, it is the government institution mandated to take the lead for coordinating and ensuring equitable and fair access to external aid aimed at improving the livelihood of the Somaliland people. It also has regulatory and oversight roles as well as giving guidance and technical advice to local and international partners/counterparts.
Organizational unit/Department: Department of Planning
Duration of assignment: max 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
- Operational control and monitoring of urban planning projects to ensure their effectiveness.
- Monitoring and advising on the progress of the ‘Green Hargeisa’ initiative;
- Providing overall project management on all of the city’s current beautification schemes;
- Leading on and overall facilitation of the Municipality’s overall urban management strategy.
The purpose of the assignment is to create effective systems and frameworks to progress Somaliland’s urban beautification strategy, as well as developing a viable and cohesive ‘Green Hargeisa’ initiative.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Analyse existing policy strategy and produce a report with recommendations on strategic policy.
- Lead on the Ministry’s engagement with local authorities in urban planning.
- Advise the Ministry, Director-General and other relevant officials on matters related to urban development and planning.
- Help move stakeholders behavior from passive collectors/reporters of information to pro-active users of information for system planning/service delivery.
- Help system and program staff better understand the kind of evaluation information they need to make day-to-day decisions
- Help facilitate the understanding of the link between strategies and the achievement of outcomes.
- Assist Ministry staff improve their skills and knowledge on project management;
- Assist the Ministry achieve its objectives of providing services to the public;
- Assist the Ministry in its pursuit of raising community awareness for its projects;
- Educate stakeholders through presentations and seminars and contribute to the learning awareness program.
Education and Experience
At least a Bachelor’s Degree
5+ years’ work experience project management roles
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent
If you are interested in this assignment please apply here.