Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan is committed to ensuring all citizens reach their full potential in health, contributing to peace, stability and sustainable development in Afghanistan. The core values of the Ministry of Public Health include equity, integrity, right to health, accountability and trust.
The Ministry of Public Health is also willing to reform tertiary hospital care. Considering the significant skilled human resources gap in the health sector, mainly high skilled medical professionals, and presence of a substantial number of highly educated medical diaspora living abroad, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) recognizes the key role that Afghan health professionals abroad play in strengthening the health system and the provision of health services to our nation. However, this huge potential remains largely untapped. To successfully harness this potential, the MoPH is committed to facilitate an environment to involve Afghan health professionals abroad in health system strengthening, healthcare delivery and the research field to improve availability and enhance the quality of healthcare provision in Afghanistan. Specifically, this initiative aims to utilize the Afghan diaspora skills and knowledge to creatively overcome the medical human resource gaps especially in tertiary care level by building on existing good practice, using established and effective networks and relationships where possible, and ensuring longer term sustainability through policy engagement.
Organizational Unit Department: Central Public Health Laboratories, CPHL (GDCM, MOPH)
Duration of assignment: 2-3 Months
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of the assignment is technical assistance to improve capacity of staff at Toxicology department of Central Public Health Lab to provide quality and up to date services.
- Establishment and Activation of Toxicology lab
- Protocols for Toxicology related Procedures and tests
- SOPs for sample taking and other testing procedures
- On the job training of Toxicology department of Central Public Health Lab staff
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Providing on the job training to Toxicology department Staff on sample and specimen taking, processing and validation
- Assisting Toxicology department staff in analysis of patient test result analysis and reporting
- Conducting academic sessions and workshop of Toxicology department staff on Toxicology related diagnostic procedures
- Developing SOPs and protocols for sample collection, Testing and lab equipment installation, operation of equipment (Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GCMS) – spectrophotometer)
- Provide on the job training to toxicology department staff on operationalizing and functionalizing different toxicology equipments (ELISA, Blood Gases analyser, Special Chemistry Analyser, etc.)
- Providing technical assistance to staff of Toxicology department on investigation of different cases in toxicology lab (food poisoning, pesticide poisoning, etc.…)
- Strong desire to help people and improve their daily lives
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Exhibits patience and understanding
- Great interpersonal relations and communications skills
- Experience and skills in effective teaching is advantage
- Have good report writing and computer skills
- Excellent team management and communication skills
- Proficiency with a computer and healthcare applications
- Excellent presentation skills
Education and Experience
- Master degree in Toxicology or any Post Graduate degree in Toxicology
- Having at least 5 years post-graduate Toxicology lab work experience
- Participation in further medical education and/or professional organization memberships are preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and local languages.