The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in selected sectors in four focus countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
In each country priority sectors and institutions have been identified, in close coordination with responsible ministries and the Netherlands embassies. Assignments are for a short periods of up to 3 months and the project offers an allowance to cover costs.
Human and Institutional Capacity Building
The main objective of this assignment is to strengthen the capacity of Office of Diaspora Affairs (ODA) under Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. In order to increase diaspora engagement and investment in the country. ODA has been engaging different stakeholders to build the capacity of the Office of Diaspora Affairs (ODA), to strengthen linkages with the Somali diaspora and support development in Somalia. This is done through the recruitment and placement of qualified technocrats and resources persons to help build the capacity of the local staff at ODA.
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Department of Diaspora Affairs was established on 23rd October 2013 with the overall objective to facilitate a strong and cohesive Somali Diaspora community that has a constructive relationship with the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) aiming at ensuring an effective contribution of the Somali Diaspora to ongoing efforts to rebuild Somalia.
The Office of Diaspora Affairs (ODA) is tasked to identify, and develop policy and strategies for the Somali government to pursue with regard to the role diaspora could play in the reconstruction, development and investment process in Somalia. ODA is also tasked with conducting studies for government to develop national policy and strategies for discouraging Somali youth from embarking on illegal migration. ODA’s mission is to encourage the return of professionals and other experts from the diaspora in order to fill critical human resources gaps to create a conducive platform enabling Somalia Diaspora to be a strong and cohesive community with a constructive relationship with their nation aiming at the national development of Somalia,
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT/ DEPARTMENT: Office of Diaspora Affairs, MFA
Duration of assignment: max 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The overall objective of this assignment is to:
- Develop a communication plan for the ODA
- Reform and improve ODA communication networks
- Initiate ODA fundraising strategies.
- Transfer his/her knowledge and skills to local staff.
- Strengthen capacity of the ODA with regard to the aspect of communication.
- Communicational advice and direct support on the fundraising strategies.
- Trainings for ODA local staff work ethics Communication trainings.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Develop a communication plan for the ODA, including all public relations materials.
- Reform and improve the communication networks between ODA, stakeholder and other diaspora associations.
- Promote ODA events and ensure fundraising strategies are in place and implemented.
- Transfer his/her knowledge and skills to local ODA staff.
- Hard working and Punctual
- Good Communication Skills
- Ability to create new initiatives and ideas
- Writing Skills
Education and Experience
- MA or BSc Degree, in Communication or related field
- Minimum 3 year experience in Communication, Community mobilising or fundraising strategies
- Experience in current Diaspora matters would be valued
To be able to communicate fluently in English and Somali (reading, writing)
If you are interested in this assignment please apply here.