The overall objective of CD4D2 is to promote the active role of diaspora in selected sectors in four focus countries: Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria and Somalia.
In each country priority sectors and institutions have been identified, in close coordination with responsible ministries and the Netherlands embassies. Assignments are for a short periods of up to 3 months and the project offers an allowance to cover costs.
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Investment Promotion was created on 14th December, 2017, by the President of Somaliland HE Muse Bihi Abdi, in order to coordinate the fragmented investment projects and opportunities into a single window. The primary mandate of the ministry is to facilitate both domestic and foreign investment opportunities through promotion, media outreach, and the employment of the research and development strategy which aims to prepare and exploit profitable projects that are attractive to investors.
Organizational unit/ Department: Special Economic Zone Department
Duration of assignment: max 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The Ministry of Investment Promotion is looking for a SEZ Expert that will help the ministry with establishing the legal framework and mechanisms for the integration, coordination, planning and monitoring of special economic zones, industrial estates/parks, export processing zones and other economic zones. The consultant will be tasked to assist the ministry with effectively linking, fostering and promoting strong economic integration between Somaliland and the rest of its neighbours and the world at large. The ministry wants potential investors to be aware that Somaliland is open for business and wants the consultant to help develop a clear strategy to engage and invite the world to come and explore this fast developing country in the Horn of Africa.
The assignment should enhance the efficiency of the Ministry by improving the investment climate and attracting opportunities across Somaliland. The consultant will mainly be responsible for mapping and planning, as well as promoting and implementing of the SEZ activity and other related operations for the overall management.
More specifically, the assignment focuses on the following outputs:
- How can SEZs best contribute to industrial development and structural transformation of the continent?
- Lessons learned from successful cases of SEZs in Africa stimulating industrial development;
- How SEZs contribute to FDI growth in Africa? how to avoid a race to the bottom in terms of incentives for foreign manufacturing investors?
- What are the key trends in the development of SEZs in the continent?
- What are the key challenges of SEZs in Africa?
- How can regional and continental cooperation enhance the efficiency of SEZs to promote industrial development in Africa?
- Attract international, regional, and local investors
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Assisting research in how to transform selected areas in the country into highly developed agro industrial, industrial, commercial, tourist, banking, investment, and financial centers, where highly trained workers and efficient services will be available to commercial enterprises;
• to promote the flow of investors, both foreign and local, into special economic zones which would generate employment opportunities and establish backward and forward linkages among industries in and around the economic zones;
• to promote financial and industrial cooperation between the Somaliland and industrialized countries through technology-intensive industries that will modernize the country’s industrial sector and improve productivity levels by utilizing new technological and managerial know-how; and
• Advise on how the SEZs operate with the status of a separate customs territory within the framework of the Constitution and the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Somaliland
The resource person is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Presenting the extent of the problem as well as the political, social and environmental of it and pinpointing responsibility
- Sharing the results of policies and plans
- Recognizing and accounting for limitations to findings
- Identifying criteria for proposing and selecting solutions.
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Should be able to develop/review policies and regulations within the investment field.
- Meeting facilitation skills.
Education and Experience
- Candidate should possess at least an MSC degree in Economics and have a proven record in managing projects.
- At least 10 years of relevant management experience
- Portfolio of successful project creations
- Proven record with engaging with media
- Great communication skills with the ability to develop a communication strategy
- Proficient in MS Office
- Excellent vendor management skills
- Knowledge of basic recruitment practices
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal skills
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent
- Additional languages are highly desirable
If you are interested in this assignment please apply here.