Name of Host Institution
Federal Somalia Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation (MoFAIC)
Address of Host Institution
Afgoye Road, KM5, Mogadishu-Somalia
Background Information about Host Institution
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is solely responsible for International Cooperation, and is mandated to act on behalf of Government of Somalia in all related matters. The Ministry is the leading agent on all the development programmes as well as climate change. It understands the need for data and quantitative analysis and the need implement NDP-9 to establish three national priorities. As well as prioritising inclusive and accountable politics, the Ministry also understands that climate change affects livelihoods, conflict prevention, and energy security. We aim to foster sustainable development for all, and most importantly food security, and other government services.
The Ministry’s focus policy issues include:
- Foreign Policy
- Human Rights and Democracy
- Energy and Climate Change
Climate change, Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation (MoFAIC).
Duration of assignment
Maximum of 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs & International Cooperation seeks a policy adviser on multi-sectoral topics such as climate change. The expert is expected to develop an integrated policy/mandates or harmonization plan through engaging multi-sectoral stakeholders including five line ministries, sector departments, and local authorities. Involving CSO as well community grass-roots in the planning and budgeting processes is also important. The expert should strive to ensure courses taught at the institute are to a high standard in order to produce excellent water/environment professionals for the future. The expert should be well-versed in proposal writing, project cycles, concept notes and other advanced reports.
The expert will prepare the new proposal projects for regional implementation of the designing of spatial mapping. The expert is expected to harmonize policy frameworks through establishing water management strategy aligning in the context of the SDG6 11, 13,14 & 15.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Participate in or facilitate inter-ministerial committee meetings and prepare cooperation frameworks.
- Coordinate/teach with horizontal groups directors and coordinate with target regions or areas.
- Provide capacity building programmes for director generals and stakeholders.
- Review the NDP-9 and related documents to set strategies and intervention approaches.
- Stay informed of trends in instructional methods and educational technology and assist teachers in incorporating new technology into their lessons.
- Providing training and other academic writing to directors and main staff of the Ministry, and preparing required new proposals and concept notes by working with the directors of inter-ministerial committees.
- Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- The expert should proactively work with others to achieve individual and team objectives;
- Suggests ways of improving working practice and reducing water management.
- The expert should provide early experience to help new colleagues learn their job and become part of the team quickly.
- The expert should actively contribute to the work of the team and set a good example;
- Accepts responsibility for own decisions. Moreover, the expert should always acquire new knowledge and skills and share what they learned with others.
- The expert should use straightforward methods, tools and equipment to carry out tasks to a safe standard, after training and practice. The expert should demonstrate safe working practice and act as a role model.
- The expert should be experienced and will train others in their own area of work.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in civil engineering, environment and related fields.
- Experience of more than 15 years, particularly in Somali context and policy harmonization
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent