Background Information about Host Institution
Guriga Oranje (GO) is a non-profit diaspora organisation that aims to advocate, promote, connect and organise Dutch-Somali communities in Somalia and the Netherlands. ‘Guriga’ means ‘House’ in the Somali language and ‘Oranje’ means Orange in Dutch, which is the famous last name of the Dutch royal family and the colour of the nation as it is synonymous with the national identity of The Netherlands.
Guriga Oranje was started in 2016 by small group of Dutch-Somalis in Mogadishu. They all had moved back to Somalia or have been there for some time.
Guriga Oranje consists largely of business investors and professionals who play an active role in the development of Somalia economically, politically and socially. Our members are pioneers of ‘Made in Somalia’ brands, products, service providers in different sectors. Guriga Oranje builds bridges, beyond only Somalia and the Netherlands. We believe that by bringing together a variety of people, from diverse backgrounds, it can contribute to the sustainable development of Somalia and connects-the-dots.
GO aims to have a collaborative relationship with the Dutch Embassy, Dutch knowledge institutions, NGOs, European embassies and trade and investment promotion institutes. — This places uniquely between the public and private sector, and ushers in a significant increase of bilateral trade and investment.
Guriga Oranje facilitates information and knowledge sharing to the Dutch and Somali companies/organizations and to those looking for information about business, investment opportunities in Somalia and on different thematic areas to enable more effective policy and decision-making.
Organizational Unit/department: Management
Duration of assignment: 3 months
Objectives of Assignment
The Project Management Advisor will support Guriga Oranje in all operational and management related matters. The Advisor will work closely with the Chairman and the board of the House. The Advisor will help us also to set up new methods of working, structures of proposal writing, strategies to liaison with possible international partners and local partners. The Advisor will provide operational planning advice to the management to help Guriga Oranje play an active role in the development of Somalia by creating life-changing, transformational experiences, skills-transfer and investment opportunities.
- Report status to management on project progress and escalate related issues and risks.
- Project planning, resource estimation, creation of work break-down structure and scheduling of work related tasks
- Monthly updates about project management processes
- Leadership and management support to the management
- Undertake any further duties as directed by the Chairman
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provides advice on operational planning matters to the management
- Provides strategic operational direction and support
- Shares updates with members and management on the issues related to business and diaspora
- Represents GO and actively participates in national and international meetings/conferences
- Liaise with Dutch Embassy, Dutch knowledge institutions, NGOs, Private and Public Sector, Embassies and trade and investment promotion institutes to facilitate and support issues related with business, diaspora, and development
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to be sensitive to community needs
- Ability to communicate effectively with management
- Ability to work collaboratively within work teams
- Ability to participate in discussions and group work
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and high demand
- Ability to identify and set priorities, plan and effectively
- Ability to be flexible and punctual
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation and communication skills
- Strong organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with impeccable multi-tasking abilities
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Primarily Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
- Capable of working independently and collaboratively as part of a wider team.
Education and Experience
- 2-3 years related work experience in Operation, Business Analysis / Project Management role.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Ability to organize and coordinate community and management meetings
- Proven track record meeting project dates.
- Experience in working with INGO’s, donors and international organizations
Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English is essential.