Name of Host Institution
Berbera Municipal Authority
Focal Point at Host Institution
Khalifa Ibrahim Abdi
Background Information about Host Institution
The Berbera Local Government administers the regions economic and trade hub, located strategically on the Gulf of Aden. In terms of skills and knowledge, the Berbera Local Government does not have enough capacity to engage its bottom-up local economic development plan. The Municipal Authority needs external experts to support technical and skills capacity to mobilize local resources and engage key local economic stakeholders to boost its socio-economic and infrastructure development.
Department of Development Planning
Duration of assignment (max 3 months)
From 1st July Till 30th September
Objectives of Assignment
This assignment aims to support the District in the assessment and development of an Urban Master Plan, which lays the foundation for Berbera Port City. This will be done through introducing and evolving spatial use and design of port city developments over time, in particular addressing when port and city activities occur in the same places and sometimes conflict.
A port, its neighbouring city, and region form a type of territory at select intersections of water and land, across which people, goods, and ideas all flow. Although a port and its infrastructure form a globally connected industrial complex, that complex must share limited space with its city and region. Port functions exist cheek by jowl with lived-in urban spaces, and other built-up and natural areas. This assignment will explore these particularities and proposes spatial planning and design measures for the use of this limited space so that the port and city (and region) can jointly evolve.
To lead and support the formulation of policy and strategy related to the port city port authority and terminal operator of DP World. Furthermore, programs will be undertaken to accelerate private sector development and public-private partnerships (PPP) achieved by the Municipality.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Conduct a quick scan/stakeholder assessment to identify the relevant stakeholders for the development and modernization of Berbera Port City. Draft clear roles and responsibilities for the relevant stakeholders, and introduce staff to understanding stakeholders’ different roles and responsibilities for Port-City development.
- Identify and clarify current challenges and obstacles for establishing collaboration and understanding the roles and responsibilities in Port City development of all stakeholders, Port Authority, Terminal Operator (DP World), the Districts leadership, central-level government institutions, private stakeholders, civil society and other relevant stakeholders.
- Advise District senior and technical staff for improved understanding and awareness of Berbera stakeholders and challenges they may face for the collaboration of a modern Port City development. Provide coaching and mentoring for district staff on how to initiate the process for the development of the Urban Master Plan.
- Support District leadership and staff with developing special maps and design of port city developments, in particular where activities take place (residential, social, economic, recreational activities); and facilitate workshops for District leadership with infographics, spatial designs, and maps that create a greater understanding of socio-economic trends, movements, developments, in the city.
- Facilitate the formulation of recommendations on the way forward for developing the Berbera Port City Urban Master plan development, with the involvement of various stakeholders, and provide spatial designs, maps and infographics that provide greater understanding on evolving spatial use and design of Berbera port city developments over time, in particular addressing when port and city activities occur in the same places and sometimes conflict.
- Good Time Management
- Good communication & interpersonal ability
- Positive attitude
- Facilitate the formulation of recommendations on the way forward for developing the Berbera Port City Urban Master plan development, with the involvement of various stakeholders.
- Advise District senior and technical staff improved understanding and awareness of Berbera stakeholders and the challenges they face.
- Provide spatial designs, maps, and infographics that provide a greater understanding of evolving spatial use and design of Berbera port city developments over time.
- Identify and clarify current challenges and obstacles for establishing collaboration and understanding the roles and responsibilities in Port City development of all stakeholders.
Education and Experience
- MSc or Bachelor degree in Urban Planning and development from a recognized college or university with a major in Management, Business Administration, or related field; a Master degree is preferred
- At least seven (7) years of relevant management level experience, including business process re-engineering and operations and organizational improvement, or proven aptitude sufficient to demonstrate the ability to meet the demands of the position
- English: Fluent
- Somali: Fluent